Steam Deck Now Available For Immediate Ordering, Steam Deck Dock Also In-Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
    But luckily Switzerland and Norway are near to the EU. So it could be possible to bye it in an neighbouring country
    That's the saddest part: it seems Valve has gone to great lengths to make this as much difficult as they can:

You can't merely give a delivery address across the border (like with any other online shop).

You can only ship to your main address, which should be an address that you've already associated with your account in the past, and the credit card you use to do purchase on Steam must be linked to the same country.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
      Cool. Steam Controller 2.0 when?
      Yes please. Can we have a Steam Controller 2 with production build quality this time around, Valve?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Japan says Hi.
        Looks like you can at least get in the reservation queue now in Japan.

One other byproduct of us scaling production is our ability to expand to other regions. Recently we started taking reservations in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong through Komodo, our distribution partner in these regions.

Comment

I didn't like mine enough to keep them with eBay money tempting me. But after reading this post I can probably convince myself that I'd essentially be getting one and the dock for free (in addition to a HP ZBook 15 G5) with the proceeds from the first two. It also looks like you can snag a 256GB 2230 drive for ~$30 or less. One thing that gives me pause is wondering how close we are to a v2 given the delays in getting v1 to market. I guess that won't happen until they can get an RDNA 3 iGPU though, maybe next year's holiday season.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
            I'm considering getting the Steam Docking Station as a generic dock/hub for my Linux laptop.

My only two concerns are:
            • The non-removable USB type C cable that connects from the dock to the Steam Deck looks like it might be awkward to plugin to a laptop.
            • Will I be able to update it without a Steam Deck (I do have Steam..)

I currently have a buggy Lenovo dock (not sure why - but HDMI is very unreliable on it). I'd like to get one that definitely supports Linux well.
            I just ordered a Deck + Dock. When I get it I can test it with a Lenovo T480 running Fedora if you'd like. That being said...
            • I do think the 6" charging cable would be a PITA for laptop charging.
            • Do you need more than 45W for your laptop?
            • Yes, I'm pretty sure firmware updates to the dock will be delivered through a connected Steam Deck.
            I think you'd probably be happier with a non-specialized USB C (or Thunderbolt depending on your laptop) dock where there have been thorough reviews about Linux compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I just ordered a Deck + Dock. When I get it I can test it with a Lenovo T480 running Fedora if you'd like. That being said...
              • I do think the 6" charging cable would be a PITA for laptop charging.
              • Do you need more than 45W for your laptop?
              • Yes, I'm pretty sure firmware updates to the dock will be delivered through a connected Steam Deck.
              I think you'd probably be happier with a non-specialized USB C (or Thunderbolt depending on your laptop) dock where there have been thorough reviews about Linux compatibility.
              I've got a T490 running Fedora so that's conveniently close... would appreciate hearing how it goes.

6'' charging cable - not worried about the distance, but if it doesn't fit well.
              45W - My current adapter is 65W max so that's a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

That's the saddest part: it seems Valve has gone to great lengths to make this as much difficult as they can:

You can't merely give a delivery address across the border (like with any other online shop).

You can only ship to your main address, which should be an address that you've already associated with your account in the past, and the credit card you use to do purchase on Steam must be linked to the same country.
                Thats really sad.

But there existing other possibilities, like ebay or something like that:
                Kleinanzeigen: Steam Deck, Kleinanzeigen - Jetzt in Weil am Rhein finden oder inserieren! eBay Kleinanzeigen ist jetzt Kleinanzeigen.

And now, where Steam Decks are immediantely shipped, the prices on ebay an the other sides will decrease.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                  Holy crap. €99 for a dock. Ok, it comes with an additional power supply, but even then...
                  Most docks in the $50 range only have one video out option, and no power adapter. With its custom shape added, the price isn't unreasonable. Valve is taking loss on the Deck as it is, so this doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is not cashing in on a new controller. With the dock, they have now reach feature parity with the Switch, with the exception of the joy cons. And controllers are a traditional way to make money from consoles. I think they are missing a trick, here. Especially since with the added display option of the dock, multiplayer just became more likely. And the controller would encourage devs to make their games work better with the steam deck controls.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Most docks in the $50 range only have one video out option, and no power adapter. With its custom shape added, the price isn't unreasonable. Valve is taking loss on the Deck as it is, so this doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is not cashing in on a new controller. With the dock, they have now reach feature parity with the Switch, with the exception of the joy cons. And controllers are a traditional way to make money from consoles. I think they are missing a trick, here. Especially since with the added display option of the dock, multiplayer just became more likely. And the controller would encourage devs to make their games work better with the steam deck controls.
                    I guess they just want people to buy Xbox controllers or something and use those on the Deck.

I'd love a new Steam Controller. Tbh, if they just too the sides of the Deck out and joined them together (think the Joycons with the center piece) that would already be a great controller.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

Thats really sad.

But there existing other possibilities, like ebay or something like that:
                      https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...eck/k0l8313r30

And now, where Steam Decks are immediantely shipped, the prices on ebay an the other sides will decrease.
                      The prices pretty much removes ebay from the "other possibilities" list:
                      image.png

Comment

Working...
                      X