Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Usage Receded Slightly In September

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Usage Receded Slightly In September

While the Steam on Linux marketshare has been consistently increasing this year since the launch of the Arch Linux powered Steam Deck, the September 2022 numbers are in and surprisingly there is a slight pull-back in Linux use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here came Steam Deck and took over the whole Linux share. Of course we do (sarcasm). So many years have passed and Linux stats are still collected incorrectly.

Comment

Damn, sorry guys I went to Win11 to play with WSL2 for a while... I'll be back once I figure out 4:4:4 8-10bit display support on amdgpu (at 4k 120hz)

Comment

...as a result of a rise in Simplified Chinese users. Steam Deck isn't officially out in China yet.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          I'll be back once I figure out 4:4:4 8-10bit display support on amdgpu (at 4k 120hz)
          I don't suppose you're describing the same 4:4:4 chroma output issue that's been problematic with 1080p TVs for over a decade now on both Windows and Linux? (basically it defaults to YUV with less-than-4:4:4 for "TV resolutions" rather than using RGB or even YUV with 4:4:4)

If so, there's an extremely long-standing forum thread over on AVSforum regarding this very issue (albeit across all GPU vendors and regardless of OS), but my recent post summarizing the 3 main solutions may help since I myself run into this issue at 1080p with my 1080p TV:

By the way, this won't work correctly if you rely on GPU-based scaling on xorg since that always outputs the "preferred" resolution and refresh rate listed by your display's physical EDID:
          Last edited by NM64; 02 October 2022, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post

I don't suppose you're describing the same 4:4:4 chroma...]
            No, just no HDMI2.1 support atm except if your using NVIDIA cards (don't know about Intel)

Comment

Is Windows on steam deck a thing? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                Is Windows on steam deck a thing? Just curious.
                Yes, it is. You can install Windows to an SD card, you can dual-boot or just run Windows. The GPU drivers are less optimized, but you can play games that can't make it passed the anit-cheats in Linux.

Ironically, Steam OS is a locked down OS, so Windows is easier to make it act like a PC. You can also install Windows in Boxes, which has a flatpak. Wine is extremely available, I can think of 5 different versions and ways off the top of my head in addition to Steam's built-in Proton offshoot. Ironically, it might be easier to install Windows apps on it than Linux apps, if you don't count Nix and the terminal.

You can also just install Linux on it, it is just a PC. I have no idea which distro has the best support for the hardware after Steam OS, but if you just want to play emulation, Batocera might suit.

I don't know if anyone has tried to install any of the BSDs on it, but with the correct drivers it should work.

The benefit of just being a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Yes, it is. You can install Windows to an SD card, you can dual-boot or just run Windows. The GPU drivers are less optimized, but you can play games that can't make it passed the anit-cheats in Linux.

Ironically, Steam OS is a locked down OS, so Windows is easier to make it act like a PC. You can also install Windows in Boxes, which has a flatpak. Wine is extremely available, I can think of 5 different versions and ways off the top of my head in addition to Steam's built-in Proton offshoot. Ironically, it might be easier to install Windows apps on it than Linux apps, if you don't count Nix and the terminal.

You can also just install Linux on it, it is just a PC. I have no idea which distro has the best support for the hardware after Steam OS, but if you just want to play emulation, Batocera might suit.

I don't know if anyone has tried to install any of the BSDs on it, but with the correct drivers it should work.

The benefit of just being a PC.
                  Another option for Linux stuff is something like flatpak run --filesystem=home:rw --command=sh org.freedesktop.Sdk

It's not necessary to build a flatpak specifically for an application to run it under Flatpak.

Comment

just got the survey poping up today

Comment

Working...
                    X