Google Shutting Down Its Stadia Game Streaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh…. Add it to the list….
    Killed by Google is the Google Graveyard. A full list of dead products killed by Google in the Google Cemetery.

Comment

IN other words, start taking your distance from those cloud nonsense. Nothing is yours you are just paying for something and if they don't like you you are out or if they are not getting enough money you are OUT!!. Just like those tv series if they they are not getting enough viewer counts, they cancel the serie even after 1 season. Just waist of your time.

Know about its existence and work with it in your professional life, but don't participate yourself.

Comment

they turned it off because they are making agreements with the producers of tv and movies online, on my tv, which is a webos based LG, they even notified me on the notifications of the remote control connection.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Exactly, only a real twit would believe that they "own" a game from the Steam DRM platform. I would go so far to say it is an unspecified time limited rental more than "permanent" though.
          It depends. I've been meaning to check out some of those Steam emulators people link to for games that I dragged the contribution slider to $0 on in Humble Bundles for being Steam-only but redeemed anyway because it was the era when GOG was still pushing GOG Connect.

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post

If you have a Mac just use USB-C connector on M28U it will charge it as well. (Assuming that you have relatively decent MacBook). It is display port over USB-C so win win.
            It's the 14 M1 Pro. The problem is that the manual for M28U mentions supported resolutions and refresh rates for HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4. I can't find any details what's the limit for the USB-C port. I know it runs 4K 60 with PD (though only 15 W), but Gigabyte is quiet on the limits. Not even what type C cable to use. I have a 10 Gbps cable, but that's obviously not enough. I might eventually buy some 40Gbps cable and see where it leads me. But this is guess work at this point.

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

Those aren't interactive. No need for a good upstream connection and they can be buffered for more than a fraction of a second. Game streaming is far more demanding, like everything else to do with gaming.
            My reply was to a discussion about which streaming put a stop to piracy. Not whether game streaming is feasible to do.

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
            Research pays.
            My bad that I thought that I could use my card's full potential with HDMI 2.1 Who could've thought that the best GPU vendor for Linux will lack such feature.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

My bad that I thought that I could use my card's full potential with HDMI 2.1 Who could've thought that the best GPU vendor for Linux will lack such feature.

HDMI is wonky also on Nvidia with proprietary drivers. My 34" monitor does not get detected over HDMI in reliable fashion under Linux while DP works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Why would they, GMail is profitable (and highly so). People are giving Google far to much flak for cancelling projects that isn't profitable as if they where a charity. The only reason the list of dead Google projects is so large is because the dared to invest in ideas that just turned out to be non viable in the end but people behave as if Google is cancelling project just to hurt them personally.
                You seem to be the one who thinks Google is a charity.

Google does not make projects to "explore" them or to "innovate", everything Google has done, Stadia, G+, has been a bad clone of an existing, better product and the only reason they existed was to get more market dominance. And after they got people dependent on them, they pull the rug from under their userbase because, just like a AAA game studio executive, it wasn't immediately making a billion dollars an hour so therefor it's unprofitable and not worth maintaining. Mind you, this is not normal. Other corporations like Microsoft will support a product for years if not a decade before killing it off, even if nobody uses it.

There is literally zero good intention behind Google's constant failed products which only serve to show how bad they are at planning and investing. And I don't mean "good intention" in a humanitarian way, it's a corporation, they'd sell their grandmother's soul for a nickel. I mean in a corporate way. Genuinely trying something new, something to improve people's lives, something to innovate. Those things already exist, other people made them, and then Google comes along and half-heartedly tries to make a bad knockoff of it and then ruins people's workflows when they kill it off. Google is the Apple of web services.

Google doesn't intend to hurt people personally, but they've done tons of damage. People aren't coming out of this unscathed either. Bear in mind that people will not be getting their save data for their games. They'll get a financial refund, but they just wasted a ton of time and will have to waste more time getting back to where they were in the same game on a different platform now. That didn't have to happen if they just, you know, didn't pull this malicious half-assed stunt to get more people hooked on their infrastructure so they can milk their customers out of more personal data.

This is what pisses me off when people defend Google or are optimistic when they make a new product or programming language (especially the latter). No, it's not an alternative, it's not healthy, they're making another part of our infrastructure that people will naively adopt and use and then Google will drop it and then we have another series of 404 pages and a new COBOL to worry about. Already can't wait to hear how much Go code we're gonna have to clean up in a decade.
                Last edited by Ironmask; 30 September 2022, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Often where purchasing power is lower stealing skill is higher.
                  So they steal hw left and right in those places to run games?

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

So they steal hw left and right in those places to run games?
                    Friendly reminder that you wouldn't steal a car (maybe), or commit genocide (I hope) but that downloading movies online is not stealing or genocide just because a bunch of lawyers and people with poor trade ethics say so.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                      Why would they, GMail is profitable (and highly so). People are giving Google far to much flak for cancelling projects that isn't profitable as if they where a charity. The only reason the list of dead Google projects is so large is because the dared to invest in ideas that just turned out to be non viable in the end but people behave as if Google is cancelling project just to hurt them personally.
                      They shut down Inbox, even though everyone I knew who used google mail, used Inbox while it was available. They say they integrated the learnings from Inbox into GMail, but they didn't, they integrated all of the useless crap (auto replies) and none of the useful things: pinning and a general UI that encourages zeroing unreads. Inbox was entirely based on existing GMail infrastructure, but they shut it down shortly after launching it.

Comment

Working...
                      X