Google Shutting Down Its Stadia Game Streaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What streaming? Stadia that Google is shutting down? Streaming will stay a niche because nobody fixed the latency problem.
    Video and music streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      So we must keep gaming on our own Linux PCs in 4K 144Hz instead of renting expensive, latency ridden service? Such a loss.
      Unless you want to use HDMI with AMD. Then good luck with that 144 Hz 🥲

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I don't know about that. At home we have a 100mbps connection, more than 3 devices, with sometimes sabnzbd running at full speed, and browsing is still fine for all.
        Well, there are also lots of scummy isp's throttling bandwidth intentionally. I really hate my local isp. I used to have lots of issues with it like internet dropouts and it also reportedly throttles bandwidth. If you don't have these issues on 100 mpbs, then you probably have a good isp.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          (I can't wait for my contract to be up...six months or so).
          USA? In Italy you can just start a new contract whenever, and the new ISP will take care of everything within a couple weeks, you don't have to inform your previous ISP by yourself. Also it's now illegal for the ISP to ask you to pay for their hardware/modem upon contract termination if installation was free, which it always is (you have a right to install your own modem as well); you just have to send it back to them or bring it to one of their physical stores by hand.
          Last edited by chocolate; 29 September 2022, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Well, there are also lots of scummy isp's throttling bandwidth intentionally. I really hate my local isp. I used to have lots of issues with it like internet dropouts and it also reportedly throttles bandwidth. If you don't have these issues on 100 mpbs, then you probably have a good isp.
            Yeah I think it's fine. It's fiber if it matters, but likely it's also the router doing its job properly.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

Unless you want to use HDMI with AMD. Then good luck with that 144 Hz 🥲
              Huh? I have 2x 4K monitors on DP cables, powered by AMD card. One 60Hz, one 144Hz. I game on 144Hz monitor, its great.

image.png​

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Hopefully this will make people more privy to inherent risks in all forms of DRM. I can see it now:

"Valve's Steam DRM service is shutting down"

~10% of games are DRM free, the others... oops, gone to digital landfill.

But of course I am sure they will use their last remaining funds to secure a DRM release contract with *every* publisher *and* pay developers to strip the DRM... *snigger*
                With Steam you should know what you're getting into. Only the most naive believes you 'own' any games from Steam. It's more of a permanent rental instead. It says so right in its agreement. If you want to own, as far as that goes in this era, a game buy it from GOG. No one is getting shafted by Stadia since they're being refunded. One can argue about the original value proposition, but no one is being screwed over without having been forewarned by multiple sources Google's likelihood of pulling Stadia off was slim given its lack of competitive value and past history.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                  USA? In Italy you can just start a new contract whenever, and the new ISP will take care of everything within a couple weeks, you don't have to inform your previous ISP by yourself. Also it's now illegal for the ISP to ask you to pay for their hardware/modem upon contract termination if installation was free, which it always is (you have a right to install your own modem as well); you just have to send it back to them or bring it to one of their physical stores by hand.
                  Yep. in America we're "free" to pay the remainder of our contracts when we want to get out of them. It sucks.

I refuse to lease internet hardware. My ISP charges $15 a month for a $50 Motorola modem. I think $60 wifi routers have a $10 a month lease. Totally ridiculous fees.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Huh? I have 2x 4K monitors on DP cables, powered by AMD card. One 60Hz, one 144Hz. I game on 144Hz monitor, its great.
                    That's why I precisely said HDMI. I used to run DP to my M28U with 4K 144Hz. But it only has 1 DP and now it's occupied by my MacBook Pro.

HDMI 2.1 is pretty much a won't fix at this point. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1417 . It works wonders on Windows so I'm back to gaming on it.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                      I would add that even with a 100 mbps internet, which I think is still decent for first world countries, the moment you use more than 3-4 devices at home or do some other bandwidth heavy stuff like synchronizing cloud storage, you immediately run out of bandwidth and even light websites crawl and barely load.
                      This is a typical symptom of an ISP connection with bufferbloat which can grind things to a halt. It can be mostly addressed by SQM. Give Waveform's bufferbloat test a run.​

Comment

Working...
                      X