Google Shutting Down Its Stadia Game Streaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by euduvda View Post
    And here I was hoping that I could get Stadia one day! It turns out that they killed it before being available everywhere.
    I think these cloud streaming services would be more popular on places where consoles and games are relatively expensive (where your purchasing power is lower).
    I think Netflix should lean on their Sony partnership for this. Netflix has a *great* global presence, and Sony has the *exact* hardware and library they need to slap in their datacenters.

Comment

I don't play much games, but I tried it. What really put me off was that it was not enough to have a Google account, but every game (I tried) needed a separate account as well. I just wanted to use it, not register and accept lots of crap only to try something out. Also if this was marketed to work on older machines your still need pretty decent hardware... Which was sort of exactly what they claimed you did not need.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        as an admin of a google apps (or is it called workspace now?) domain, I'm just waiting for them to cancel GMail one of these days.
        Why would they, GMail is profitable (and highly so). People are giving Google far to much flak for cancelling projects that isn't profitable as if they where a charity. The only reason the list of dead Google projects is so large is because the dared to invest in ideas that just turned out to be non viable in the end but people behave as if Google is cancelling project just to hurt them personally.

Comment

This is embarrassing.

Comment

So we must keep gaming on our own Linux PCs in 4K 144Hz instead of renting expensive, latency ridden service? Such a loss.

Comment

I'm glad it's dead, and I hope the concept stays dead for reasons of game ownership and internet bandwidth. From the lack of what I have seen reported, Google also made zero effort to upstream any work on AMDVLK, DXVK, or Debian. So, nothing lost except some 'don't do' evil. Let the door hit you on the way out, Google.

Comment

Being initially managed by the same person who also bungled the Playstation 3 launch and early days so badly Sony went from dominating the videogame console market leader to a distant 3rd it wasn't entirely unexpected. Google bungled the whole thing in expecting people to just re-buy their games on this new and unproven platform and they had to either successfully pivot or die. Trying to sell it as a service to third parties just didn't bring in the number of customers and it did the latter.

Being someone who wants gaming on Linux to be successful I must say that I'm quite disappointed. They had the financial muscle to create something genuinely good, but just had to put someone as incompetent as Phil Harrison in charge...

Comment

Originally posted by euduvda View Post

Oh! You mean like 10 years ago, right!?

Look what streaming did to piracy... that's the potential.
                  What streaming? Stadia that Google is shutting down? Streaming will stay a niche because nobody fixed the latency problem.

Comment

Raise the hand those who are surprised.
                    A technically interesting solution killed by idiotic commercial choices, and Google's legendary lack of commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                      I would add that even with a 100 mbps internet, which I think is still decent for first world countries, the moment you use more than 3-4 devices at home or do some other bandwidth heavy stuff like synchronizing cloud storage, you immediately run out of bandwidth and even light websites crawl and barely load.
                      I don't know about that. At home we have a 100mbps connection, more than 3 devices, with sometimes sabnzbd running at full speed, and browsing is still fine for all.

Comment

Working...
                      X