No announcement yet.

Google Shutting Down Its Stadia Game Streaming Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never even got stadia to work, and neither did any of my friends, they all went with GFNow if they didn't roll their own.

Comment

The scam is dead. Good.

"Buying" games my ass. How was this even legal?

Comment

Promising the impossible, keeping the platform sekrit sauce, mistreating the in-house studio, overpaying for external games, and acting like they were unapproachable MicroSonytendo instead of a new entrant and looking to appeal to users. Little suprise there.

Comment

If it only required a subscription, it would survive. The fact that you needed to buy games for Stadia only to be able to play them on Stadia is pretty insane. Of couse that would have never worked.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Well, this was kinda unexpected.. I thought Google calmed down everyone who was worrying about game preserverance when it announced Stadia.
            And that's why Google is refuding every single purchase made in Stadia. Nobody's getting shafted, really.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              And that's why Google is refuding every single purchase made in Stadia. Nobody's getting shafted, really.
              That was sarcasm...

Comment

Well, game streaming doesn't really have much of a market. Casual gamers usually are ok playing simpler games on their phones or something, and don't care much about graphics or frame rate. Hard core gamers usually want bigger screen with higher resolutions, high fps, and low latency, something that streaming cannot handle. Add to that the fact that WiFi usually isn't stable enough for such a thing so you'll need to plug your device into ethernet. At that point you might as well just pay 300$ or so for an XBox and never worry about connectivity issues.

Comment

Originally posted by euduvda View Post
                  And here I was hoping that I could get Stadia one day! It turns out that they killed it before being available everywhere.
                  I think these cloud streaming services would be more popular on places where consoles and games are relatively expensive (where your purchasing power is lower).
                  One of the biggest problems of a service like Stadia is that some of countries with higher purchasing power have inadequate and/or expensive internet availability. Take me for an example. It wasn't until earlier this year that a 2nd ISP arrived in my town that offered gigabit speeds and unlimited bandwidth at a quarter of the price I currently pay (I can't wait for my contract to be up...six months or so).

Regardless of any value that Stadia could bring, having it eat up limited bandwidth even when playing single player games makes it unattractive when you get hit with $10 per gigabyte in overage fees from your ISP. Even if that wasn't the case, my internet is barely fast enough in regards to latency. Until unlimited high speed internet is universal and standard in countries with purchasing power, services like Stadia are less likely to succeed.

What I'm hoping now is that Google licenses Stadia tech to Valve, Sony, MS, and other gaming-focused companies so they can come up with DRM, licensing, and subscription services that allow me to play games from wherever on whatever.

It also doesn't help that two major game consoles as well as worldwide pandemics and recessions hit at the same time Stadia started becoming worth-a-damn and getting more games. They got hit with a 1, 2, 3 combo.

Comment

I would add that even with a 100 mbps internet, which I think is still decent for first world countries, the moment you use more than 3-4 devices at home or do some other bandwidth heavy stuff like synchronizing cloud storage, you immediately run out of bandwidth and even light websites crawl and barely load.

Comment

Hopefully this will make people more privy to inherent risks in all forms of DRM. I can see it now:

"Valve's Steam DRM service is shutting down"

~10% of games are DRM free, the others... oops, gone to digital landfill.

But of course I am sure they will use their last remaining funds to secure a DRM release contract with *every* publisher *and* pay developers to strip the DRM... *snigger*

Comment

Working...
                      X