Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godot 4.0 Alpha 17 Released, New Company Raises $8M+ To Advance This Open-Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

What I heard is that they were letting people go, and news about merging with some shady non-gaming company with cash in their pockets.
    Source or it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Source or it didn't happen.
      Feel free to use Bing and see for yourself :-)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Feel free to use Bing and see for yourself :-)
        You're the one making the argument, so you are obliged to provide the source.

Comment

Here: https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroo...layoffs/z6467e

I don't know how reputable the site is, as I haven't visited it before, but presumably it was an article like this one that prompted the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're the one making the argument, so you are obliged to provide the source.
            Sure. Let me come back later...

Comment

$8M is really not a lot of money - it wouldn't get even a Y2K-era game to release, let alone a modern one - but it's a decent chunk of change that can keep an engine team running for quite a while.

The problem is that you only really polish and expand engines BY having games use them, so what Godot needs now that its future is secure for a while is developers - of ANY standard - actually using the thing to work out the kinks and drive new development. If they're willing to contribute to wikis/docs/etc too that's a bonus, but that can be done by someone on staff. Hammering on the engine is what matters, and extending it in useful directions as time permits and demand is expressed.

Comment

This just proves the old adage that there's a sucker born every minute is 100% true.

I invite everyone to check out the games that have been created with this "engine":

People made better games with Dark Basic.

Hell, Quake II released in 1997 looks better than some of these games.

And these guys found enough pigeons to raise 8.5 million from "investors"?

I think I am going to start a half-assed open source project and see how many people i can fleece.
                Last edited by sophisticles; 09 December 2023, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  This just proves the old adage that there's a sucker born every minute is 100% true.

I invite everyone to check out the games that have been created with this "engine":

People made better games with Dark Basic.

Hell, Quake II re;eased in 1997 looks better than some of these games.

And these guys found enough pigeons to raise 8.5 million from "investors"?

I think I am going to start a half-assed open source project and see how many people i can fleece.
                  you do know games like getting over it and sonic colors are also on godot? Godot is very much a competent game engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X