Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godot 4.0 Alpha 17 Released, New Company Raises $8M+ To Advance This Open-Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 Alpha 17 Released, New Company Raises $8M+ To Advance This Open-Source Engine

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 Alpha 17 Released, New Company Raises $8M+ To Advance This Open-Source Engine

Godot 4.0 Alpha 17 is out today as the newest development release for this open-source game engine. Also announced today that the new start-up W4 Games that was started by Godot Engine developers has managed to raise $8.5M USD to support this open-source game engine ecosystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I don't know what the investors expect in return, but that's a very good news for Godot !

They can now hire more people for documentation and dev and polish Godot so it looks attractive to more people and studios.

I just hope that this professionalization of the project won't become a reason for Godot team to fear deep updates now.
    Godot 4.0 is going to be great because the team had no fear changing the structure deeply, renaming almost everything, dropping useless features...
    Godot is so lean and clean, precisely because of this attitude, I hope they keep it.

Comment

With he troubles Unity (the game engine) is experiencing, that is a good opportunity for Godot to gain some of that indie market.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        With he troubles Unity (the game engine) is experiencing, that is a good opportunity for Godot to gain some of that indie market.
        What struggles is Unity experiencing? I know next to nothing about game engine market share and the games industry and so on, so I'd like to know

Comment

I wonder if they will expand the native scripting to accept rust or C++, currently the decent setup seems fine, but a few of my friends have been having issues with it, that and the size of the exported binaries are big they say, even an empty project's binary is 60+mb

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

What struggles is Unity experiencing? I know next to nothing about game engine market share and the games industry and so on, so I'd like to know
            What I heard is that they were letting people go, and news about merging with some shady non-gaming company with cash in their pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              I wonder if they will expand the native scripting to accept rust or C++, currently the decent setup seems fine, but a few of my friends have been having issues with it, that and the size of the exported binaries are big they say, even an empty project's binary is 60+mb
              Probably depends on what platform you're on.. But I tried publishing a "blank" app in Unity - a Hello World text as an iPhone app.. it was 100+ mb. Probably something you can clean up a bit with configuration in both cases, but these engines usually produce quite massive executables sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
                even an empty project's binary is 60+mb
                You can compile export templates with unused features disabled (and size optimizations instead of speed): https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stab..._for_size.html

4.0 will have a feature build profile generator that automatically determines the feature set from a project to make building such templates easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  4.0 will have a feature build profile generator that automatically determines the feature set from a project to make building such templates easier.
                  any idea where to find more information on this profile generator? Even if it's not implemented yet and just a issue tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    any idea where to find more information on this profile generator? Even if it's not implemented yet and just a issue tracker.
                    Here you go

Comment

Working...
                    X