Godot 4.0 Alpha 16 Released With More Vulkan Renderer Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That's not any better. If you aren't a fan of Wayland - Linux isn't something to use.
    why not? its not like we can magically wish away the issues that wayland has, and xorg still works for many people. until some of the big issues wayland has are solved, I see a lot of people wishing to remain x11, and im not sure at this rate we will see some of the issues with wayland solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

why not?
      Because you won't stop the progress and expecting it to wait for you isn't productive.

Comment

Because you won't stop the progress and expecting it to wait for you isn't productive.
        considering that wayland hasn't yet hit the threshold of useability for many folk, it has a lot more progress to work on before it's of much concern xD

Comment

considering that wayland hasn't yet hit the threshold of useability for many folk, it has a lot more progress to work on before it's of much concern xD
          My point is - you can as well find something else to use than Linux, if you don't want to use Wayland. Otherwise it's like fighting with windmills.

Comment

My point is - you can as well find something else to use than Linux, if you don't want to use Wayland. Otherwise it's like fighting with windmills.
            using x11 is still quite fine, until I no longer need to ask "what DE?" to questions like, whats the best OSK, or "whats the best screenshot tool"? im not worried about supporting wayland. when wayland fixes their ecosystem fragmentation issue, I'll care then.

Comment

using x11 is still quite fine, until I no longer need to ask "what DE?" to questions like, whats the best OSK, or "whats the best screenshot tool"? im not worried about supporting wayland. when wayland fixes their ecosystem fragmentation issue, I'll care then.
              Somewhat fine still, but KDE gradually phases out X11 support from what I've seen. I don't think other DEs are going to do it differently. That was my point.

Comment

Somewhat fine still, but KDE gradually phases out X11 support from what I've seen. I don't think other DEs are going to do it differently. That was my point.
                hmm, that would certainly be a nuisance, well it wouldn't effect me personally since I've already been forced into using wayland (why ISPs think selling router that only support android apps for logging into is a good idea is beyond me, thankfully waydroid exists though). but man, I really hope we find a solution for the app fragmentation problem soon, MPV's ontop for instance is still broken on wayland since the only way for them to implement it viably is apparently to use wlroots layers protocol, which of course, gnome doesn't support.

and while it's easy to blame gnome and say everyone should "just agree on a set of extensions" the answer to that is, they already did, its called wayland. I really wish wayland would just implement an "unsafe" subsection that compositors can take extra care to set toggles for or something. since the current situation is, put simply, bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  luno imho it will be not good for a long time because if experience shows anything is that switching from X11 to Wayland is a lot more painful than previously estimated, e.g. KDE plasma is known for having a lot of releases each mentioning "Wayland fixes".
                  it is huge gain for me and many people I know as it is tear free and faster without any tinkering (Wayland has much more users than you realise due to its deployment in Enterprise systems), Linux Desktop was literally unusable for me before Wayland, looks like Unreal Engine and Bevy Engine has better support for Wayland, I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

it is huge gain for me and many people I know as it is tear free and faster without any tinkering (Wayland has much more users than you realise due to its deployment in Enterprise systems), Linux Desktop was literally unusable for me before Wayland, looks like Unreal Engine and Bevy Engine has better support for Wayland, I will try that.
                    wayland is tearfree because it forces something close to 3buf vsync (mailbox on vulkan) and it adds the appropriate latency for that, currently the minimum latency floor with wayland is higher then x11, though with the patches to allow tearing comming up that should soon change

Comment

Working...
                    X