No announcement yet.

Canonical Continues Snap'ing Up Linux Gaming For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't feel I have much opinion on the pros/cons of the different app container formats, but I think that finding some kind of unified packaging container is important for Linux. I think the way package management in all distributions is handled is such a massive duplication of effort that I think could be better spent on other areas of development.

Comment

LOL... you linux cool kids are so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        One of the negative side effects of packaging into snaps/flatpaks is that applications sometimes seem to not be fully aware what's my real home folder (/home/me) and thinking instead that it's like /usr/var/1000/whatever, can't replicate now but happened to me in the past.
        In my experience, that's the intersection of two things:
        1. You're using an application which uses GtkFileChooserNative, QFileDialog, or something else which delegates to the XDG File Chooser Portal when run under Snap or Flatpak. (If it didn't delegate to the portal, you'd be seeing the filesystem as the application sees it from inside the sandbox.)
        2. Your package's sandboxing manifest (Editable in Flatpak via the flatpak override command or the Flatseal GUI app) isn't granting access to your home directory, resulting in the file chooser mounting it as a path in the XDG Documents Portal and returning that instead when you choose it through the dialog.

Comment

So, which is the most hated company on Phoronix:
          1) Microsoft
          2) Apple
          3) Canonical

Should really make a poll.

PS: I hate Snap too. When will Canonical learn lessons? The Mir debacle wasn't enough? (not talking about Upstart and Unity) Long live Flatpak!
          Last edited by ALRBP; 30 August 2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            So you say Snaps just work right? give me an ffing break. Go ask some people from Belgium who tried the Firefox Snap. Every citizen in Belgium has to use some financial system that works in the web browser. I've seen numerous reports that this system doesn't work in Firefox Snap. How's that for "apps just work".
            Ohhh I thought it was some configuration issue on my end that the eID stuff works in Debian but not Ubuntu, but I hadn't investigated.

The eID software is a plug-in module that can be loaded by third-party software and which, using the PKCS#11 standard, can offer extra functionality to this software.  

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              how exactly snapping an open source program prevent other distros from using it?
              * people hate snap
              * not everything is open source
              * not every software is popular enough to get distro maintainer attention
              * many complex software is a hassle to compile outside "intended" way
              * many distro don't have enough maintainer maintaining every software ever created
              * thanks to canonical nagging, companies think snap is "the right way" to distribute software, which performs badly on Ubuntu itself, let alone on different distro

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

In my experience, that's the intersection of two things:
                1. You're using an application which uses GtkFileChooserNative, QFileDialog, or something else which delegates to the XDG File Chooser Portal when run under Snap or Flatpak. (If it didn't delegate to the portal, you'd be seeing the filesystem as the application sees it from inside the sandbox.)
                2. Your package's sandboxing manifest (Editable in Flatpak via the flatpak override command or the Flatseal GUI app) isn't granting access to your home directory, resulting in the file chooser mounting it as a path in the XDG Documents Portal and returning that instead when you choose it through the dialog.
                Thanks for the explanation, but it's not my fault and I didn't ask to sandbox my apps, in fact I'm very much against it.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

* people hate snap
                  * not everything is open source
                  * not every software is popular enough to get distro maintainer attention
                  * many complex software is a hassle to compile outside "intended" way
                  * many distro don't have enough maintainer maintaining every software ever created
                  * thanks to canonical nagging, companies think snap is "the right way" to distribute software, which performs badly on Ubuntu itself, let alone on different distro
                  I hate snap so much it drove me away from Ubuntu likely forever (we live in an age where politicians and companies do not have reverse gear and don't listen)

I was an Ubuntu diehard on the desktop, now I wish them good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaunius View Post
                    Mint all the way. I was actually fed up with Mint, because of their lack of resources and honestly retarded prioritization of issues and roadmap with the little resources they actually have.
                    So I've decided to switch to PopOS a month ago, but as I've tried to boot it up for the first time an error popped up on the screen and I found out that PopOS for some unexplicable reason doesn't support secureboot. Devs' response? Phuk off.
                    Bye Bye PopOS, hello Mint my old shabby friend.
                    So a distro literally based on Ubuntu, for some odd reason doesn't support secure boot?
                    I already didn't understand all the hype around popOS, but after their broken Steam native package because of a missing dependency on their server, this just lowered my trust in them even more.

Even though I love Mint, I'm sometimes a bit disappointed in them too. For example I don't like their insistence of sticking to old kernels and shipping an EDGE iso only with Cinnamon edition. It also seems their response to bug reports is very slow.
                    But even with these flaws, I still appreciate their commitment to the desktop. Listening to desktop users and even without listening, knowing what's best for desktop users. Listening and committing to your user base is something you don't see very often, even with other open source projects.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm using a tarball version of Firefox and some things became much slower: e.g. after I moved to the .tar.gz version changing the theme in youtube is sluggish while the packaged version used to do that instantly, editing comments freezes for a second or two. But I don't know for sure - it could be a bad youtube update to its website that coincided with my transition to Firefox - didn't bother reinstalling the old version and checking.
                      I had the reverse happen with the snap version slow as hell, now using the tarball going on 9 months everything is nice and quick. That was the last time snap was on the machine, it was removed never to return, as soon as the Firefox version in it was gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X