Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verge: Intel Going DX9 on DX12 for Windows (Me: Middle finger to Linux gaming?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verge: Intel Going DX9 on DX12 for Windows (Me: Middle finger to Linux gaming?)

The Verge is reporting that Intel is going to be using a Microsoft-maintained DX9 —> DX12 emulation layer with their 12th Gen Core and Arc graphics

(Guessing this is due to the reports that Arc gaming for older APIs sucks more than a brand new Amazon-owned Roomba mapping your home)

That being said - really really wishing they had opted for a DirectX on Vulkan route which would allow for improvements to Linux gaming (and to a lesser extent, gaming on Macs with Vulkan —> Metal via MoltenVK)

Of course, not many newer games are DX9 native (though League of Legends comes to mind as a recent DX11 convert — but it’s DX9 mode has MUCH better performance)

link to article:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/15/2...on-direct-x-12

I would have been more beneficial for customers for Intel to have used and contributed to DXVK instead, so it is a bit disappointing. On the other hand, it's classic Wintel and a continuation of the old DirectX practice of letting Microsoft do the heavy lifting, so it's not a surprising choice, although I didn't know Microsoft was doing this in the first place. At least we know the approach is valid... implementation to be seen (by Windows users).

I think Intel's graphics division is flailing around. I'm not sure they have the time or awareness to deliberately give anyone the finger.

Also, Microsoft is paying a direct cost for maintaining DX12 lock-in here, because nothing stopped them from using DXVK either.

I learned about this issue from a Youtube video of Moore's Law is Dead here. (I disagree with the presenter's conclusion that using this approach means Intel was lying about working on improving DX9 support, but I understand that most people aren't familiar with DXVK and the like.)
    Last edited by Teggs; 18 August 2022, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

I think Intel's graphics division is flailing around. I'm not sure they have the time or awareness to deliberately give anyone the finger.
      OUCH, that burn! Might as well be a CPU in the desert heat under max load using a cooler without thermal compound!

You may be right though. They are probably desperate, and Microsoft offered them a lifeline.

Would have loved to see open-source solutions find additional contributors, though.

Last edited by Eirikr1848; 18 August 2022, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X