SteamOS 3.3 Now Available With Many Improvements For The Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 3.3 Now Available With Many Improvements For The Steam Deck

Phoronix: SteamOS 3.3 Now Available With Many Improvements For The Steam Deck

Valve this evening has begun shipping SteamOS 3.3 to Steam Deck customers as the latest version of their Arch Linux based software stack initially targeting their handheld game console...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any confirmation yet about an ISO for general availability?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      Why would you want that though? For most users savy enough to frequent phoronix a general purpose distro seems more appropriate for their normal computers. One that doesn't need to have flatpaks for everything due to the OS updating as a monolithic image.

Steam runs just fine on Arch or Ubuntu (and probably a number of other distros but I have not tested that myself), so I fail to see the point of making SteamOS more general purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Why would you want that though? For most users savy enough to frequent phoronix a general purpose distro seems more appropriate for their normal computers. One that doesn't need to have flatpaks for everything due to the OS updating as a monolithic image.

Steam runs just fine on Arch or Ubuntu (and probably a number of other distros but I have not tested that myself), so I fail to see the point of making SteamOS more general purpose.
        Late and I'm tired, but I believe valve had always some lil speed tweaks for input latency, integrated stuff, etc. I don't remember any specifics, but I'd look into it before making a sweeping statement or encouraging or discouraging anything. I'd be interested in comparing it to my xanmodded arch... Could also be just the thing for a reliable HTPC/retro machine. I think there's a lil Ryzen+Vega minisforum out for like $200, and Valve no longer sells their SteamLink, nor the sweet sweet controller, on that note...

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

If you have one of the other console handholds such as the odin (same form factor as steam with intel/ryzen CPU) and you want to use SteamOS rather than the preinstalled Windows.

Comment

You mean this https://repo.steampowered.com/steamr...runtime-depot/

It's fully open source.

Comment

Originally posted by JosiahBradley View Post

It's fully open source.
              Isn't that "Steam Runtime 2" and not "SteamOS 3"?

I've been looking forward to swap my living room PC to use SteamOS once Valve releases SteamOS 3 generally. I know people have been hacking Steam Deck images to work with other x86_64 hardware but I'd prefer to not to rely on such hacks.

Comment

A lot of people like the idea of having a game dedicated Distro for their computer. SteamOS 1 and 2 was a good idea but way too often outaded partially because it is based on a rather old Debian core. So all drivers kernels didn't pushed the hardware to it's potential.
                At the moment I'm on PosOs with xanmod kernel and custom tweaks which works quite fine. But many of this tweaks are already shipped by default with SteamOs 3. So to my understanding a SteamOS3 should have all benefits without having to tinker too much. Which is fun too..but anyway

Comment

Originally posted by JosiahBradley View Post

It's fully open source.
                  Great! How do I use Rufus to make a bootable USB and which file is the one I need to choose?

Comment

Great! How do I use Rufus to make a bootable USB and which file is the one I need to choose?
                    You sure you don't want to give HoloISO a try if having FSR with the Steam overlay is what you are after?
                    SteamOS 3 (Holo) archiso configuration. Contribute to theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                    X