Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam For Linux In July Shows A 1.23% Marketshare, AMD CPUs Now More Common Than Intel On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    I was thinking more about price-to-performance ratio, which is why I wrote 'very expensive'.
    In fact, I just had a look:
    The cheapest Mac Studio with the M1 Max costs "only" 2.299,00 € in the part of Europe where I live.
    Just for comparison, I paid exactly 1111 € for my OEM-PC with an Intel i7-11700F + nVidia RTX 3060 Ti, so actually less than half of the cheapest Mac Studio.
    And here's my GravityMark score with a slightly lower resolution, but otherwise exactly the same settings:
    (But you got to give me bonus points for running the Windows version through WINE-Staging, plus translating the Direct3D11 calls to Vulkan via DXVK! )

System was Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 LTS running in OpenBox, because the Mutter-based compositor exhibited problems with unlocked framerates.
    So, I think it's fair to say that my machine provides the better value, wouldn't you agree?
    [But to be honest, I don't care about your opinion -- at all... ]
    dude it all depents on your energy costs because in germany elecrtic energy is now 0,42€ per kwh...

wow long can you run your computer compared to this: "Apple M1 Max measured TDP in GPU workloads is around 70W. The whole package can eat up to 120W."

i think if you calculate it over lets say 5 years you will find that your pc was not as cheap as you thought it is.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Apple M1 Max measured TDP in GPU workloads is around 70W. The whole package can eat up to 120W.

It's wildly more power efficient than RTX 2070 mobile and RX 5600 XT.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17024...mance-review/3
    its not only that its also big size ATX PC case vs little SOC small case.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Soon Linux will finally overtake Apple's macOS!
    But frankly, this is expected, since objective benchmarks such as GravityMark show what a joke even Apple's very expensive M1 Max is, even when making use of its tailor-made Metal API & running natively on ARM:
    Mac Studio (M1 Max, 2022)
    Score: 15,114

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (with RADV on Linux)
    Score: 16,467

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (Mobile)
    Score: 17,963

Meanwhile Apple fanatics come up with headlines such as this one:
    [/URL]
    dude the last apple product i touched was a mac performa 5200 from 1994...
    but i can say this according to your benchmarks apple did a good job.
    because the M1 max is a SOC design and the 5600XT and RTX2070 are PCIe cards.

to design a SOC who is in similar performance range than a PCIe card is really a insane good job.

sure you can buy a large PC with PCIe card but the SOC design will fit into a tiny case compared to the ATX PC ...

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Hmm... does that mean you rarely post useful info? Just wondering.
    I'm not a Linux zealot so the actual Linux zealots who are most people here hate me for that. I happen to recognize issues when I see them. The others scream everything is fine and Linux is perfect. Of course, I'm being hated for that.

I don't remember ever trolling about Linux on Phoronix or anywhere else.

Leave a comment:

• middy
    replied
    Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
    Windows growth also pretty good + 0.66%, to above 97% :O. Nice.

Windows as total dominator came back .
    i wish valve would show region. i remember the last time windows saw a massive boost, along with intel and nvidia. it was when steam china hit. i'd be curious to see how it breaks down for steam in the west.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

You're welcome. It's rare and quite unusual to see people thanking me here. Most of the time instead it's "You're a bloody troll, you hate Linux, you love NVIDIA/Intel" none of which is even remotely true.
    Hmm... does that mean you rarely post useful info? Just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Am I missing something? A benchmark score in the tens of thousands, with a difference of only about 2000 between an in-house recent GPU vs decent discrete GPUs shows the M1 Max being appealing. I'd easily choose the M1 Max Mac over the other two options since it holds its ground comparably, while also having the advantages of Apple and macOS.
    Sure, if you've got more money than brain cells, why not?

And could you please elaborate on those advantages of Apple & macOS that you are seeing?

Is it the longer battery life on the Mac Studio?

Leave a comment:

• hamishmb
    replied
    Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I don't think they should. It will be just as good (or bad) as any other desktop distro. For now, they heavily rely on Gamescope for their gaming mode, which is Wayland compositor and doesn't work on NVIDIA GPUs (or barely works). I don't think that people will rush replacing their Windows OSes with Linux just because of Valve's branding, and if so, they'll be disappointed. Also, Valve makes SteamOS primarily as an OS for OEMs to put on their hardware, which makes much more sense than releasing another general purpose Linux distro for enthusiasts.
    Good point - they might as well not create more fragmentation in the "which Linux distro to choose for gaming" space. Especially with NVIDIA issues, as you say. I think you've probably just changed my mind about this.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    I think people miss partially what this numbers mean, nobody would say the consoles sales numbers are bad or unimportant.

The estimations of the sales of the xbox one was around 50mio units estimated, if we assume that half of that died or lie / lied in the basement or collected dust on some other place we had maybe 25mio monthly active users.

Compare that to from me estimated (just the first numbers I found + added constant growth) 170-200mio monthly active users on steam and 1.23% of those using linux that's around 2.5 mio Users so we cracked maybe 10% of the xbox one sales that isn't as bad and because the Wii U only sold 13.56 million times again if we assume ruffly 50% of those were active on a monthly basis in it's live span it would only be 6.75 mio Units monthly active users, that's nearly 40% of that.

So if we get to the 2% territory we are on Konsole level users. And to clarify the point further if we would reach Konsole numbers, companies create many games for consoles sometimes even exclusive, but at least native ports, sure they have the advantage of a locked in system with lower amount of black copies and higher prices, but I would assume that people also only have steam accounts if they buy games, so there should be also a high amount of users that don't use illegal versions and are viable customers.
    Last edited by blackiwid; 02 August 2022, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SteamPunker
    replied
    Soon Linux will finally overtake Apple's macOS!
    It's indeed pretty cool to see Linux gradually inching close to striking distance of macOS. Claiming second place would still be a remarkable milestone, even if the Windows marketshare doesn't look like it's going to be dethroned any time soon.

Ultimately most PC gamers will probably be pragmatic enough to consider switching to Linux, if that offers better performance on the same hardware and a better gaming experience overall. Just keep improving it, and be the tortoise that ultimately wins the race.

A big Thank You to the developers at Valve, the volunteers working on Lutris and other relevant open source projects, and everyone else who's working hard on making Linux the ultimate gaming platform!
    Last edited by SteamPunker; 02 August 2022, 09:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X