Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam For Linux In July Shows A 1.23% Marketshare, AMD CPUs Now More Common Than Intel On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

From the cambridge meaning of trolling, then yes, you're quite often, trolling. You're quick to throw insult, and it's quite harsh. Yes, there's often truth in what you're stating, but usually you're not forgot to throw insult along that truth.
    qarium , t.s. , sarmad

"[...] Yes, I'm a troll."
    -- Written by birdie ( last paragraph of https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...650#post921650 )
    Last edited by Nth_man; 03 August 2022, 05:38 AM.

Comment

From the cambridge meaning of trolling, then yes, you're quite often, trolling. You're quick to throw insult, and it's quite harsh. Yes, there's often truth in what you're stating, but usually you're not forgot to throw insult along that truth.

Myself trolling quite hard on some subject here, like Apple M1 lines that I call garbage (I have my reason, it's the truth at least for me, and I have something to back-up my statement). And almost certainly, there'll be someone that feel offended. But you, buddy, trolling about linux, in, let's say, the forums that the main focus is linux and used by linux user-fan-lover-zealot. The outcome is pretty obvious, right?
      "the act of leaving an insulting message on the internet in order to annoy someone"

If calling things what they really are is "an insulting message" then you're right. "Annoy people"? Only zealots seemingly get annoyed - there are lots of people here (considering "likes") who appreciate my posts. This is such a broad definition, you can call any fucking message here trolling because there always will be annoyed people who perceive something as "insulting". Find something a little bit more precise and logical because this definition is too vague.

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

qarium , t.s. , sarmad

"[...] Yes, I'm a troll."
      -- Written by birdie ( last paragraph of https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...650#post921650 )
      That was written ironically, in jest. You really are thick, aren't you? I wrote multiple paragraphs with a ton of data, facts and proofs before that to explain my position.

Comment

Myself trolling quite hard on some subject here, like Apple M1 lines that I call garbage (I have my reason, it's the truth at least for me, and I have something to back-up my statement). And almost certainly, there'll be someone that feel offended. But you, buddy, trolling about linux, in, let's say, the forums that the main focus is linux and used by linux user-fan-lover-zealot. The outcome is pretty obvious, right?
        do you think he even reads your post he has a very long personal blocking list and if he does not like what you say and you are not already on this blocking list he will just add you to the ban list.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

About Apple vs. AMD hardware, we really need a comparison where both devices are somewhat close in available power.
          I found this comparison on notebookcheck.net, Ryzen 7 5700U (15 W TDP) vs. Apple M1 (TDP for the M1 unclear, but the whole system uses significantly less power than the AMD laptop). Overall, the Ryzen appears to hold its own in CPU tests.
          For GPU performance, I did not find benchmarks on the fly, but Apple will probably win that one based on raw GFLOP/s.

Of course, this comparison is somewhat obsolete. Apple is about to release the M2, while AMD already has released the Ryzen 6000 series.

For gaming, I think we have to consider that most games are developed for Windows, far fewer for Linux and Mac. I don't know how easy it is to run Windows games on Mac, but on Linux Steam/Proton and Wine have made considerable progress. This may account for Linux gaining ground on mac in the Steam Survey.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

do you think he even reads your post he has a very long personal blocking list and if he does not like what you say and you are not already on this blocking list he will just add you to the ban list.
            t.s. , sarmad

birdie has some problems, please do not be too hard on him:
            "I've been in a state of major depression recently exacerbated by horrible loneliness and feats of anger (towards myself) - that can really make you type the things you don't actually mean."
            -- birdie ( https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...80#post1328680 )

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              There's probably a good reason why they shut down nuclear plants. God forbid you guys get Putin angry and Russia comes after you. What do you think they'll do to your nuclear power plants? The cost to keep them running and safely is probably the reason why your electric bill was so high.
              Getting a bit off topic, but since my country is being discussed:
              The main reason was people being afraid of nuclear accidents, and the unsolved question of final storage. Unsolved in a large part because of political squabbling and a bunch of NIMBys in politics.
              The stance of government also flipped a few times. First, in, 2000, the center-left government under Schröder started phasing out nuclear energy. That was stopped in 2010 by the center-right government under Merkel. Then Fukujima happened and public opinion was strongly against nuclear energy after that. A gradual phase-out resumed, with natural gas plants intended as bridging technology until renewables could handle all of the demand.
              Now we have Ukraine-related worries about a reliable gas supply, and new discussions about extending the run time of the last few nuclear plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                But come on, quality over crunch right? Releasing the SteamOS 3.0 iso means it "has" to work on every machine. But yes, it's either or situation in this case.
                Why would it mean that? I don't think so. There could be a long-standing public beta, "this is only officially supported on the Steam Deck, etc etc etc"

If a Steam Deck owner has to re-install, what exactly do they have to do anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
                  Getting a bit off topic, but since my country is being discussed:
                  The main reason was people being afraid of nuclear accidents, and the unsolved question of final storage. Unsolved in a large part because of political squabbling and a bunch of NIMBys in politics.
                  The stance of government also flipped a few times. First, in, 2000, the center-left government under Schröder started phasing out nuclear energy. That was stopped in 2010 by the center-right government under Merkel. Then Fukujima happened and public opinion was strongly against nuclear energy after that. A gradual phase-out resumed, with natural gas plants intended as bridging technology until renewables could handle all of the demand.
                  Now we have Ukraine-related worries about a reliable gas supply, and new discussions about extending the run time of the last few nuclear plants.
                  right... also about gas and putin/russia... we germans do not have a problem with putin/russia ...

we germans have a problem with our own Government similar to this nuclear topic our government flip side and opinion very often like he said 2010 the schröder government was putin/russia lover government
                  the government today is anti-russia and anti-putin...

it does not matter the topic is it nuclear or gas or putin what is fact we germans have a problem with our own government. like every 4 years we have new government who does the exact opposite of the government before... nuclear on and off and on and off and on... gas power plant on and off and on and off ,,, putin is evil putin is good putin is evil and putin is good again... ...
                  same for coal power plants... coal is evil then because of putin coal is good then coal is bad again and then coal is good again.

then they turn off coal power plants in bavaria and then the result is the garbage disposal costs go from 200€ per year to 2000€ per year per person ... why ? it turned out that the coal power plant was burning all the garbage and now they have to transport all the garbage by trucks into far away power plants to burn the trash.

this example alone shows how stupid the german government is. they do not even unterstand that they need coal power plant to burn all the garbage and the coal is only an additive to make the garbage "burn"...
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
                    About Apple vs. AMD hardware, we really need a comparison where both devices are somewhat close in available power.
                    I found this comparison on notebookcheck.net, Ryzen 7 5700U (15 W TDP) vs. Apple M1 (TDP for the M1 unclear, but the whole system uses significantly less power than the AMD laptop). Overall, the Ryzen appears to hold its own in CPU tests.
                    For GPU performance, I did not find benchmarks on the fly, but Apple will probably win that one based on raw GFLOP/s.

Of course, this comparison is somewhat obsolete. Apple is about to release the M2, while AMD already has released the Ryzen 6000 series.
                    It's very obsolete. The M2 has been out and the latest AMD laptop APU is now in the 6000's. Also notebookcheck is just comparing the official numbers, which doesn't really help. AMD's 6800U makes the M2 look pointless. The problem with benchmarks on the Apple M series is that nobody cares. The majority of reviews are done by Apple only reviewers, which clearly have a bias. The ones that aren't Apple only like Linus Tech Tips don't know how to benchmark as they'll compare the Apple M's to a desktop Intel with a RTX 3090 because these components are not designed for power efficiency. AMD uses 7nm for Desktop parts and 6nm for their laptop parts, and you'll be seeing Intel do the same next year with Intel's 7nm for desktop and TSMC's 3nm for laptops.

This is a good review that actually did power tests on the M2.

For gaming, I think we have to consider that most games are developed for Windows, far fewer for Linux and Mac. I don't know how easy it is to run Windows games on Mac, but on Linux Steam/Proton and Wine have made considerable progress. This may account for Linux gaining ground on mac in the Steam Survey.
                    I've been using Linux for over a decade but never 100% left Windows due to gaming. Earlier this year I completely dumped Windows in favor of Linux and I can play my games with a bit of trouble but it can be done. Elden Ring for example runs just fine in Linux while a Mac OSX user on the M1/M2's cannot. Same goes for games like CyberPunk 2077 and Halo Infinite in that you can't get these kind of games working on Apple M series running Mac OSX. Thanks to Lord Gaben and Valve's investments into Linux with Proton, ACO, DXVK, VKD3D, and etc we can play those games on Linux. Valve isn't putting that kind of effort into Mac OSX and probably never will. We all agree that Windows is shit and the move to Windows 11 has proven that Microsoft isn't about to care about your privacy or rights as a consumer. But Apple's Mac OSX is actually worse as Apple regularly shits on their consumers and they actually like it. If Apple did care then they would have Vulkan as well as open sourced their drivers for Linux. You know like AMD and Intel has been doing for over a decade.
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's very obsolete. The M2 has been out and the latest AMD laptop APU is now in the 6000's.
                      Ah yes, I was behind the times concerning Apple.
                      Found another review at Techspot, this time comparing the AMD 6800U (among others) to the M2. Without further research it seems that performance is similar enough that it should not be the deciding point. Except Adobe Premiere, where the M2 really outshines the AMD.
                      I've been using Linux for over a decade but never 100% left Windows due to gaming. Earlier this year I completely dumped Windows in favor of Linux and I can play my games with a bit of trouble but it can be done. Elden Ring for example runs just fine in Linux while a Mac OSX user on the M1/M2's cannot. Same goes for games like CyberPunk 2077 and Halo Infinite in that you can't get these kind of games working on Apple M series running Mac OSX. Thanks to Lord Gaben and Valve's investments into Linux with Proton, ACO, DXVK, VKD3D, and etc we can play those games on Linux. Valve isn't putting that kind of effort into Mac OSX and probably never will.
                      Right now I have two reasons left to keep a Windows partition around. It is Windows 7 at the risk of catching a virus, as opposed to the known spyware Windows 10. Windows 11 is completely out.
                      • World of Tanks, but this may change with my upcoming PC upgrade. I literally have the parts here, just need to get around to installing them.
                      • Various diagnosis tools, for which I don't know a equal Linux alternative yet (those are rarely used).
                      About Apple, their walled garden approach in general is enough to turn me off. How much they fuck their customers over on top of that is irrelevant to me. Nice image in your post though.
                      Technology wise, I'm not following their software development, but how much performance they can squeeze out of their ARM-derivates is still interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X