Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam For Linux In July Shows A 1.23% Marketshare, AMD CPUs Now More Common Than Intel On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Apple M1 Max measured TDP in GPU workloads is around 70W. The whole package can eat up to 120W.

It's wildly more power efficient than RTX 2070 mobile and RX 5600 XT.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17024...mance-review/3
    its not only that its also big size ATX PC case vs little SOC small case.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      I was thinking more about price-to-performance ratio, which is why I wrote 'very expensive'.
      In fact, I just had a look:
      The cheapest Mac Studio with the M1 Max costs "only" 2.299,00 € in the part of Europe where I live.
      Just for comparison, I paid exactly 1111 € for my OEM-PC with an Intel i7-11700F + nVidia RTX 3060 Ti, so actually less than half of the cheapest Mac Studio.
      And here's my GravityMark score with a slightly lower resolution, but otherwise exactly the same settings:
      (But you got to give me bonus points for running the Windows version through WINE-Staging, plus translating the Direct3D11 calls to Vulkan via DXVK! )

System was Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 LTS running in OpenBox, because the Mutter-based compositor exhibited problems with unlocked framerates.
      So, I think it's fair to say that my machine provides the better value, wouldn't you agree?
      [But to be honest, I don't care about your opinion -- at all... ]
      dude it all depents on your energy costs because in germany elecrtic energy is now 0,42€ per kwh...

wow long can you run your computer compared to this: "Apple M1 Max measured TDP in GPU workloads is around 70W. The whole package can eat up to 120W."

i think if you calculate it over lets say 5 years you will find that your pc was not as cheap as you thought it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
        Good point - they might as well not create more fragmentation in the "which Linux distro to choose for gaming" space. Especially with NVIDIA issues, as you say. I think you've probably just changed my mind about this.
        in case of low marketshare numbers we all suffer in the linux space more competition in the distro space just hurts.
        i run fedora36 and valve steam works very well. i have all AMD hardware means i would not suffer from these nvidia problems.

but i ask you why more distros and more competition in the distro space ?

if you want to build your own system why not just run fedora ? or ubuntu? or Arch? and so one ...

is there anything you need more than this ? more distros do not solve any problem

Comment

Sure, if you've got more money than brain cells, why not?
          And could you please elaborate on those advantages of Apple & macOS that you are seeing?
          Is it the longer battery life on the Mac Studio?
          he is just a german who suffers from the price for electric power of 0.42€ per kwh...

if you life in norway/schweden and your price is 0.10€ per kwh you do not care at all.

so it depend on your energy price if apple is expensive or cheap.

in germany we have horrible situation i can tell you this the corrupt politics of left-wing-marxists+greenCO2Satanists+Liberal-Traitors did shut down all nuclear power plants and shit down black-coal mining and shut down watter storage power plants because of the high cost of transport energy and shut down all GAS GUD (gas turbine plus water steam power plant) power plant and so one and so one.

whats why the price for electric energy is skyrocking in germany.

you make jokes about "battery life" but in the moment you get a german energy bill you will be a happy apple customer.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Hmm... does that mean you rarely post useful info? Just wondering.
            i monitor him over a long time he likes to play "devils advocate" for companys like intel or nvidia...

and not only that he also like to perform destructive criticism on open source products

both true cases where the criticism is painful but still true and even use dark rhetoric tricks to present points as critic who are plain and simple wrong or a lie but he presents it as true.

he is one of the most destructive writer here who is not permanently banned.

Comment

I'm not a Linux zealot so the actual Linux zealots who are most people here hate me for that. I happen to recognize issues when I see them. The others scream everything is fine and Linux is perfect. Of course, I'm being hated for that.
              I don't remember ever trolling about Linux on Phoronix or anywhere else.
              all people can see how destructive you are by the words you use alone: Linux zealot

you insult the regular linux user here on phoronix.com

and you are right thats not even trolling because trolling would be fun... you just insult us linux people.

tell me whats the benefit of insulting me and other people ? i don't get it.

Comment

I'm not a Linux zealot so the actual Linux zealots who are most people here hate me for that. I happen to recognize issues when I see them. The others scream everything is fine and Linux is perfect. Of course, I'm being hated for that.

I don't remember ever trolling about Linux on Phoronix or anywhere else.
                From the cambridge meaning of trolling, then yes, you're quite often, trolling. You're quick to throw insult, and it's quite harsh. Yes, there's often truth in what you're stating, but usually you're not forgot to throw insult along that truth.

Myself trolling quite hard on some subject here, like Apple M1 lines that I call garbage (I have my reason, it's the truth at least for me, and I have something to back-up my statement). And almost certainly, there'll be someone that feel offended. But you, buddy, trolling about linux, in, let's say, the forums that the main focus is linux and used by linux user-fan-lover-zealot. The outcome is pretty obvious, right?

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

he is just a german who suffers from the price for electric power of 0.42€ per kwh...

if you life in norway/schweden and your price is 0.10€ per kwh you do not care at all.

so it depend on your energy price if apple is expensive or cheap.

in germany we have horrible situation i can tell you this the corrupt politics of left-wing-marxists+greenCO2Satanists+Liberal-Traitors did shut down all nuclear power plants and shit down black-coal mining and shut down watter storage power plants because of the high cost of transport energy and shut down all GAS GUD (gas turbine plus water steam power plant) power plant and so one and so one.

whats why the price for electric energy is skyrocking in germany.
                  There's probably a good reason why they shut down nuclear plants. God forbid you guys get Putin angry and Russia comes after you. What do you think they'll do to your nuclear power plants? The cost to keep them running and safely is probably the reason why your electric bill was so high.

you make jokes about "battery life" but in the moment you get a german energy bill you will be a happy apple customer.
                  Firstly, that's not how power consumption works. If you run your computer at max load then, you'll consume the same power as a x86 laptop. You don't though, unless this is some sort of server. If you play games then probably 2-3 hours per day, which is not going to raise the electric bill that high. Most people who calculate playing games do it like you do it 24/7. Also, M1's playing games are not efficient. I've shown tests where they eat battery like crazy. CPU maybe efficient, but not the GPU. Apple isn't AMD or Nvidia here when it comes to making an efficient GPU. RDNA2 is just far ahead of Apple's GPU. Even Nvidia isn't so bad so long as you don't get a laptop with something more than a RTX 3060.

Comment

Soon Linux will finally overtake Apple's macOS!
                    Apple's MacOS was a factor?
                    But frankly, this is expected, since objective benchmarks such as GravityMark show what a joke even Apple's very expensive M1 Max is, even when making use of its tailor-made Metal API & running natively on ARM:

Mac Studio (M1 Max, 2022)
                    Score: 15,114

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (with RADV on Linux)
                    Score: 16,467

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (Mobile)
                    Score: 17,963
                    https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/rep...a4c036734bb5f9
                    I did say Apple would lose to a dad's computer.
                    Meanwhile Apple fanatics come up with headlines such as this one:

"Apple's M1 Max GPU is as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 desktop GPU and the Sony PS5 gaming console"

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/qb5ozq/apples_m1_max_gpu_is_as_powerful_as_an_nvidia_rtx/

The sad truth is the Apple apologists have no idea what goes on outside of their Apple garden. Being as powerful as a PS5 is not an accomplishment. Gamers Nexus said that a PS5 is a PC from 5 years ago that's about mid to high end. So is that a M1 Max? The equivalent of a mid to high end PC from 5 years ago? Good job Apple.

12 seconds · Clipped by Lo and Behold · Original video "PlayStation 5 120FPS Mode vs. PC 120FPS: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison" by Gamers Nexus

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to call the standard Linux users here zealots - I think most of us are better than that. I also don't think that's a destructive criticism - there are a lot of zealots in the Linux community and we could in general stand to be more open-minded, even if only to take on constructive criticism to help improve Linux as a whole.

Note that I say this as a daily Linux user and developer.

Comment

Working...
                      X