Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Releases GameMode 1.7

Phoronix: Feral Releases GameMode 1.7

The Linux game porters at Feral Interactive have released GameMode 1.7 as the newest version of their daemon that can ensure your CPU frequency scaling governor is set to "performance" mode, among other system performance optimizations, automatically when launching games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do people still use it? For me it does nothing in terms of performance.

Comment

I still use it ...but don't know if it really helps. Guess it is just for the "well being"

Comment

I've noticed that it does help a lot in some light (more single threaded) SDL2 games like Xonotic, Red Eclipse and CSGO. Without it, for some reason these games are pretty stuttery on my i7 8700K. Some of them also have lower fps. With gamemoderun however, they are smooth and run as expected. In all other games it makes no difference for me.

But if you're using Gnome, then you can just set the power mode to "performance", which has pretty much the same effect in these games like gamemode.
        Last edited by user1; 21 July 2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

When I first heard about this i dismissed it out of hand becuse i just saw it as those completely useless 'game mode' applications under windows.

But it's not, in some cases it can really boost your performance. I mean it's nothing revolutionary, bu tit can give you like an extra 5-10fps, and 5-10fps does count, it can be the difference between 50fps and 60fps after all

Gamemode is actually pretty nice.

Comment

I use it, because it also allows to set custom start and stop commands. I have 2 uses for it:
            - Pause boinc client
            - Kill nextcloud client. For some games I use nextcloud server to synchronize saves. But some games (like minetest) are writing a lot of data and very often. This makes nextcloud client very confused. It also makes no sense to send all those intermediate states. It's better to stop the client before the game and restart it after the game is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              I don't find a difference to be honest. But I configured it so that it launches stuff in my dGPU and hence in Steam I only edit launch options to add gamemoderun %command%. No more remembering all the envvars, just set them once in gamemode configuration and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                I use it to automatically configure an NVIDIA overclock

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  I've noticed that it does help a lot in some light (more single threaded) SDL2 games like Xonotic, Red Eclipse and CSGO. Without it, for some reason these games are pretty stuttery on my i7 8700K.
                  That's because without the performance governor, the CPU will constantly change clock speeds to whatever the governor thinks is appropriate to handle the load.

It really depends on the game, your system and the governor used, but when the normal governor hits a pathological pattern, the difference is dramatic.

The greatest difference I've seen was with Borderlands 2. With the default governor it was unplayable, it felt like it was running at 5 fps even though the displayed fps was higher. The frame timing was so irregular that some frames took 100 ms to render.
                  With the performance governor it ran at a perfectly smooth 150 fps.

By the way, this is a problem that does not only affect gaming, but all workloads where the CPU frequently switches between busy and idle states. Compiling, in particular the configure steps, fall into this category. So when you configure machines for automated builds, you should definitely test this in great detail. The ondemand governor can completely cripple build performance on some machines.
                  Last edited by david-nk; 21 July 2022, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I have noticed the difference, a little on my desktop, but a colossal amount of my daughter's Ryzen 5700U laptop. I forget exactly, but enabling the GPU optimisations changed Deep Rock Galactic from being 30fps at a very low resolution with the lowest settings to about 50fps at a much higher resolution with medium settings. When I tried the same on my wife's 2700U laptop though, it overheated and shutdown within a minute or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X