Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Joins The Open 3D Foundation

Phoronix: Epic Games Joins The Open 3D Foundation

Epic Games is the latest company joining the Open 3D Foundation as a premier member alongside Adobe, Amazon Web Services, Huawei, Intel, Microsoft, and others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this a serious project?
    Or it just Amazon trying to cut costs and abandoning it, and "giving it away" so others can maintain them for them, then Microsoft joining to add Azure in hopes of any devs using it will use Azure instead of Amazon S3?
    Adobe joining it to tie in do Adobe Creative Cloud?
    Huawei and Epic Games joining to spy?

Comment

Conflict of interests? They license a game engine, then are in a BoD of an Open Source 3D game engine.

Seriously, why would Epic help competitors to their main form of revenue?

Comment

Yeah, what actually is this? What is the point of it?
        Like, I'm no paranoid delusional, just because a company announces they're going to help with something doesn't mean there's bad intent behind it, sometimes they genuinely just want to make a useful tool they can use.
        But absolutely none of these companies except maybe Microsoft actually does anything helpful with software development at all, and I just say that because the entire .NET ecosystem is open source. The rest of them only just make people outright suffer in some way, I don't think any of those other companies have done anything good for anyone.

I had the exact same thoughts as uid313 above me before I even read the article. "Oh, Amazon's still trying to do something with their stupid engine they regret making again?"
        I don't see what the point of this foundation is or where it could possibly go. Most real developers are starting to gravitate towards Godot and Bevy.

Comment

Hmmm, I thought they were supposed to be "good guys". Why are they joining an "evil incorporated" group?

Comment

Certainly not something I expected to happen, it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
              Hmmm, I thought they were supposed to be "good guys". Why are they joining an "evil incorporated" group?
              In what Universe is Epic a "good guy"?

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
                Certainly not something I expected to happen, it will be interesting to see where this goes.
                Perhaps, the intention is to be sure it goes nowhere, and this is a known reason to be part of a committee/board.

Comment

Politics aside. It makes sense for as many groups as possible to share a common base for interoperability as the article suggests.

Exporting textures, models, animations, etc... can be troublesome.

Comment

From the press release:

“The metaverse will require companies to work together to advance open standards and open-source tools, and we believe the Open 3D Foundation will play an important role in this journey,” said Petit. “With shared standards for interoperability, we’re giving creators more freedom and flexibility to build interactive 3D content using the tools they’re most comfortable with, and to bring those amazing experiences to life in Unreal Engine and across other 3D engines.”

The "Petit" credited with that statement is Marc Petit, VP of Unreal Engine Ecosystem at Epic Games

Comment

Working...
                    X