Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Publishes Linux Port Of Total War: WARHAMMER III

Phoronix: Feral Publishes Linux Port Of Total War: WARHAMMER III

Feral Interactive today released their native Linux port of Total War: WARHAMMER III for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Feral were cool. But the mistakes are the same. + Saves in Rise of Tomb Rider

Comment

"The Steam Play / Windows version has the added ability of cross-OS play while the Feral port is limited to users of the same OS/platform."

why? just why ? this is inanity...
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I remember 1-2 years ago, Feral ports still had the advantage of delivering slightly higher performance compared to Proton, but these days with VKD3D already on par, or sometimes even outperforming native DX12, I don't see a point in native ports anymore (which aren't really native btw). Only disadvantages like the aforementioned lack of cross-play, or potentially stopping to work after a few years because of dependency rot.
        Last edited by user1; 16 June 2022, 01:10 PM.

Comment

That's awesome. Native Linux games are always welcome news to me.

However, game trailers like that piss me right off. The actual game looks nothing like the footage in the advertisement. In-game cut scenes, sure, but the actual game, not at all. How hard is it to put actual gameplay of the game in the advertisement for the game?

Via ProtonDB.com the Steam Play usage as the Windows game running under Proton is rated as "Gold" status. The Steam Play / Windows version has the added ability of cross-OS play while the Feral port is limited to users of the same OS/platform.
          Oh no. No no no.

Please tell me that it isn't like the Dirt Rally and F1 2017 ports where I'll play a bunch on Linux, take a break for a bit, forget about cross-platform compatibility, go to play it on Windows, and then lose all of my damn progress to the point where I don't want to play the games ever again?

I've since made it a point to run all my Linux native games through Proton after those two incidents since, to me, Linux native just isn't worth it if it risks losing all my damn game progress because I game on multiple platforms at random.

Comment

I don't really understand the state of Feral. I thought they were basically out of business?

Comment

Don't really like Feral ports, I prefer native builds from original devs

Comment

The Linux system requirements are listed as recommending a GeForce GTX 1070 or better or an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT or better
                I'm pretty sure my 5700 XT is almost two times as powerful as a GTX 1070. I guess they wrote the first AMD GPU that came into their minds and called it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  That's awesome. Native Linux games are always welcome news to me.

However, game trailers like that piss me right off. The actual game looks nothing like the footage in the advertisement. In-game cut scenes, sure, but the actual game, not at all. How hard is it to put actual gameplay of the game in the advertisement for the game?

Oh no. No no no.

Please tell me that it isn't like the Dirt Rally and F1 2017 ports where I'll play a bunch on Linux, take a break for a bit, forget about cross-platform compatibility, go to play it on Windows, and then lose all of my damn progress to the point where I don't want to play the games ever again?

I've since made it a point to run all my Linux native games through Proton after those two incidents since, to me, Linux native just isn't worth it if it risks losing all my damn game progress because I game on multiple platforms at random.
                  No it's for cross platform multiplayer. I just bought warhammer 2 to play with a friend who uses windows only to find out I had to play in Proton even though there's a linux version because somehow after 3 ports of these games they still don't have the ability to play multiplayer cross-OS. We've got multiplayer working between Sony and Xbox now, something that seemed like a dream not long ago, and yet these Windows to Linux ports can't figure it out. Mind bogglingly frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                    "The Steam Play / Windows version has the added ability of cross-OS play while the Feral port is limited to users of the same OS/platform."

why? just why ? this is inanity...
                    The reason they have given for this in the past is that the Total War games use a math library on windows which is incompatible with linux.
                    On mac / linux feral uses a different library, this would cause desyncs in multiplayer (the netcode in total war isn't great in the first place). Another thing is they take some time porting things over and so patches may not always be in sync.

In other words the problem is that CA does not do this in house and leaving the porting to a third party has its limitations.

That being said warhammer 2 had compatibility break between mac and linux a couple of times which is really inexcusable as they are both ports by feral.

Comment

Working...
                    X