Feral Publishes Linux Port Of Total War: WARHAMMER III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    Feral were cool. But the mistakes are the same. + Saves in Rise of Tomb Rider
    Yeah, doing game ports for Linux is the biggest mistake by far.

Win32 API is easier to support under Linux than providing native Linux builds. Wine/DXVK have become so good, ports are a complete waste of time and energy.

Comment

After having read these comments, I'm left feeling reasonably sure that this right here is the very last Feral game port to Linux...

Which actually is a good thing for Linux gaming in general, because the various API translators are making these dribble ports thoroughly obsolete.

Comment

Honestly Windows native games are starting to run better under Linux these days, aside from the sad state of anti-cheat systems. I can play most of the games I care about on Linux no problem!

Comment

Don't be ungratefully guys, it's always nice to have people working on Linux. Let's welcome their effort...

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
            "The Steam Play / Windows version has the added ability of cross-OS play while the Feral port is limited to users of the same OS/platform."

why? just why ? this is inanity...
            I bet it's the anti-cheat nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
              Don't be ungratefully guys, it's always nice to have people working on Linux. Let's welcome their effort...
              For a port that cuts features compared to the original game that already runs well on the same hardware they recommend?

I asked them a detailed question via email regarding Rise of the TR multiplayer when it switched to Epic services on Windows and all I got was a one-line response like "there are no plans to update Rise of the TR on Linux at this time".

Yeah, so feel free to read that as "it's practically impossible to get all achievements for the new TR trilogy with our Linux ports".

It's a pity, because the ports run great otherwise, but come on, you don't even get a proper email response from their technical support, let alone anything remotely worth their own price tag (on their website) compared to plain Proton.
              The only saving grace was exactly that: you are typically not supported by the original developers if you play through Proton, but you are supported by Feral with their ports. Except there's nothing worth "supporting".

Putting macOS aside, their only lifeline would be to be employed by Valve to teach developers how to make truly native versions, as well as change in-house toolchains to support Linux as effortlessly as possible since inception. With the state of Windows-focused "videogame academies" (cringe...............), chances are something like that could last a whole career.
              But I get the idea their relationship is nonexistent.

Otherwise, please just don't bother, these ports are ridiculously pejorative.

Comment

I'll buy Warhammer III when Mortal Empires 2, or whatever they decide to call the grand campaign is available. Not before.

The "storyline" campaigns are fun a time or two, but it's Mortal Empires where Warhammer II really shines.

Comment

It might be interesting to see Feral vs. Proton benchmarks, except that it will probably be irrelevent past this release.

I had hoped that Feral would find a way to thrive in the new environment, maybe consulting with game developers on how to either make a true Linux build or at least a game that functions well under Wine/Proton, but I haven't heard anything like that. It's a shame, but I wish them the best anyhow.

Comment

seeing the comments, the "conspiracy" theorists who feared losing native ports because they feared "wine/proton" would kill native porting were right in the end. they were not so crazy after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                      I had hoped that Feral would find a way to thrive in the new environment, maybe consulting with game developers on how to either make a true Linux build or at least a game that functions well under Wine/Proton, but I haven't heard anything like that. It's a shame, but I wish them the best anyhow.
                      They are gifted people, but they can't keep going like this. They need to become evangelists for cross-platform technologies. To do that, they need to be employed as such.
                      It's standard practice in the IT sector (e.g. Amazon) and especially games development (e.g. Nvidia). We all know who the employer should be, and they shouldn't waste any time.

Comment

Working...
                      X