No announcement yet.

Caster has gone Gold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the updated binaries? The demo link did not change yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      AFAIK, they haven't been released yet. I don't think it will be long to wait though.

Comment

We're making one last verification pass with the beta testers- we'd rather have that one deep sixed with whatever we do as an update so we're not pushing out a constant stream of bugfixes on it.

It should be out here shortly- it's showing up decently right at the moment.

Comment

Just give em to me, as you can guess i find lots of problems

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            We're making one last verification pass with the beta testers- we'd rather have that one deep sixed with whatever we do as an update so we're not pushing out a constant stream of bugfixes on it.
            Good to hear it's being fixed, was just about to post a WTF comment as the slowdowns were just horrible on hardware that's capable of much, much more. Not really my fav game anyway, what's with all the clipping errors where half the guy disappears into the ground? Oh well.

Comment

Congrats on a completed Linux port!

Here's to many more games being ported to Linux

Even though I am not really a gamer, I'll consider buying a copy when it is ready, to support the cause

Just give em to me, as you can guess i find lots of problems
              haha why not include a demo copy with Kanotix
              Last edited by DeepDayze; 03 June 2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

If there would be i386/amd64 deb packages i could add them to my repo. Building images with that game would be easy then.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
                  Good to hear it's being fixed, was just about to post a WTF comment as the slowdowns were just horrible on hardware that's capable of much, much more. Not really my fav game anyway, what's with all the clipping errors where half the guy disappears into the ground? Oh well.
                  Heh... It was something that couldn't have been caught except out in the field. Linux machines tend to have more activity at the L2 cache level than the other popular OSes- because we're able to do more and end up doing it.... There was something that wasn't being noticed on the other platforms because the calculation process in question, while not wrong was doing more than intended and causing us to pop out of L2 on the game during the slowdown periods. The slowdowns would happen for some and not others.

As for the the clipping errors...it's difficult, actually, to get "clipping" right in many cases.

Most games either resort to linear, largely "flat" surfaces to minimize the risk of a PVS calculation error, or you use fairly high vertex count geometry and things like octrees to offset the damage of having to sift through the morass there. Since neither are in play here, it's possible that a clipping error might occur.

Could you do me the favor of telling me under what conditions that you've found this problem so I can look at it with Mike and fix it- especially since with something like 20-30 people testing this game and they've not reported the problem you describe?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Could you do me the favor of telling me under what conditions that you've found this problem so I can look at it with Mike and fix it- especially since with something like 20-30 people testing this game and they've not reported the problem you describe?
                    I haven't compared to the Windows version so might be as good as it gets, but I found that when jumping towards steep surfaces like e.g. trying to get up the superjump wall in the tutorial, the avatar will end up quite a bit inside the wall and looks very silly. It doesn't affect gameplay so it's not that big a deal but it's definately part of what puts it in the 5$ category IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
                      I haven't compared to the Windows version so might be as good as it gets, but I found that when jumping towards steep surfaces like e.g. trying to get up the superjump wall in the tutorial, the avatar will end up quite a bit inside the wall and looks very silly. It doesn't affect gameplay so it's not that big a deal but it's definately part of what puts it in the 5$ category IMO.
                      Okay... I'll check into it for Mike. Once the update's done, perhaps you should check it again. I'm going to verify that this evening even.

Thanks for the problem description. Seriously. I want it to be worth a bit more than the $5 category you've placed it in, the truth be known. Having something easily worth $10 or so that's very popular on Linux helps the gaming position immensely.

Comment

Working...
                      X