Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Hits Top Linux Spot Over Ubuntu In May's Steam Survey

Phoronix: Arch Linux Hits Top Linux Spot Over Ubuntu In May's Steam Survey

The Steam Survey results are in for May 2022 and while it shows Linux slightly down on a percentage basis, it shows a new top-spot for the most popular Linux distribution unseating Ubuntu LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had a much better time with manjaro than ubuntu
    but manjaro doesn't have a secure boot signed drivers/kernel. So I switched to Ubuntu. This was so I could play valorant in windows 11. But with secure boot windows is actually unstable for me anyways.

Comment

Windows 96.68% and +0.37p.p.
      Linux 1.12 and -0.02p.p

So, if trends steel in few years Linux will disappeared.

Comment

Title's a bit misleading. While the singular Arch Linux entry has triumphed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Ubuntu's actual share is at least 0.22% so it still tops Arch Linux by a long shot. I would imagine this is because of the recent Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release and people finding themselves upgrading their machines.

Yes, the article explained this in detail but that's not what people would have understood from just reading the title.

Comment

Fuck Snaps!
          I hate this garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
            Windows 96.68% and +0.37p.p.
            Linux 1.12 and -0.02p.p

So, if trends steel in few years Linux will disappeared.
            I still don't understand why some Windows fans like to visit this website. Is it just for trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by rmnscnce View Post
              Title's a bit misleading. While the singular Arch Linux entry has triumphed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Ubuntu's actual share is at least 0.22% so it still tops Arch Linux by a long shot. I would imagine this is because of the recent Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release and people finding themselves upgrading their machines.

Yes, the article explained this in detail but that's not what people would have understood from just reading the title.
              Nah, I don't think it's misleading. The title says "Hits Top Linux Spot"; it didn't say that Arch now has the largest market share or something like that. Everyone should know that a single OS can reserve multiple spots in this list.

Comment

Steam Deck's custom AMD APU is now the second most popular GPU on Linux at 5.20%

Comment

Originally posted by rmnscnce View Post

If we want to play that game then Arch has 12.85 + (Manjaro) 11.09 + (SteamOS) 5.23 = 29.17% of the Linux Market Share, which tops the (Ubuntu 20.04) 11.75 + (Ubuntu 22.04) 8.04 + (Linux Mint) 5.97 = 25.76% visible

So.. based on the available data, no Arch is still ahead :P

Comment

This matches a long-term trend over at GamingOnLinux where Arch and derivatives have moved ahead of Ubuntu and derivatives in adoption. Also, KDE moved ahead of GNOME, and this was in progress before Steam Deck.

It's almost as if being openly hostile to gaming drives people away from your software. Who could have predicted such a thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X