X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Deck?!

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
      This matches a long-term trend over at GamingOnLinux where Arch and derivatives have moved ahead of Ubuntu and derivatives in adoption. Also, KDE moved ahead of GNOME, and this was in progress before Steam Deck.

It's almost as if being openly hostile to gaming drives people away from your software. Who could have predicted such a thing?
      Since when has Ubuntu been "openly hostile" to gaming?
      Please stop pulling imaginary things out of your ... thin air!

They are/were even looking to hire a person just to concentrate on the gaming aspect of Ubuntu, to which I'd hoped Michael would apply.
      Has IBM/RedHat or SuSE such a position inside their company?

That being said, a minimal install of Arch Linux does have a gaming advantage against Ubuntu by default:

It doesn't ship with "thermald" nor "irqbalance" enabled OOTB, and the default kernel build is fully preemptible, whereas Ubuntu's "generic" flavor is only doing it voluntarily.

Still, those shortcomings can be easily tweaked away on Ubuntu, and the stability of the LTS version simply can't be missed when one has actual work to do besides gaming all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaython View Post
        I had a much better time with manjaro than ubuntu
        but manjaro doesn't have a secure boot signed drivers/kernel. So I switched to Ubuntu. This was so I could play valorant in windows 11. But with secure boot windows is actually unstable for me anyways.
        Playing zoomer cs clone with kernel backdoor anticheat instead of linux native original csgo. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I still don't understand why some Windows fans like to visit this website. Is it just for trolling?
          Well, trolling some fans of a [email protected] drm-client on a site about free software should be FSF approved.
          ​​

Comment

arch going strong as always I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Since when has Ubuntu been "openly hostile" to gaming?
              Well it is, they whole release cycle is hostile to gaming. They need to provide stable kernel updates (not only bugfixes) and graphics stack update to be relevant for gaming on Linux. Way to much happens in 6 month now in Linux gaming to ignore that, the improvements are huge, and even when ubuntu release a new version at the releases date it is already a few months out of date. And gamers are often on a cutting edge hardware, having a 1 month older then the current stable can be often the metter of the system booting or not starting at all.

Comment

Ubuntu is the reason I stopped using Linux (among other things). People seem to think it's some kind of "authority", when it's just a rebrand of an already awful distro. Debian is such a lackluster and shakily-composed distro itself, and Ubuntu only exasperates those issues, not solving it.
                Ubuntu is one of the reasons Linux is stagnating in the market, it's a far cry from actually helping it. Ubuntu has made more people decide against using Linux than it ever hoped it would help make new Linux users. Even people I knew in real life eager to try Linux were eventually put off by it due to Ubuntu. It doesn't innovate or try to make it bearable at all, it just tries to hide all of the unsolved flaws of Linux behind a pretty interface before it all blows up in your face.
                Thank god Valve understood this, and, rather than abandoning Linux outright just because they made this mistake of basing their distro off Debian, decided to rebase it off Arch instead. Not the perfect move, something like NixOS would be far better, especially for a "firmware-like" OS like SteamOS. But it's a step in the right direction.
                The sooner the Linux community disowns Debian and Ubuntu, the better. It's the only way forward, because those distros have well established they don't want to evolve.

Comment

I still don't understand why some Windows fans like to visit this website. Is it just for trolling?
                  Probably to wait for some topics about popularity or benchmark when Windows win one or two tests to claim how it's superior and Linux is dying or something like that. Probably that's why there are mostly missing in other topics not related to these two things.

It's funny how some Windows fans loves to laugh at "year of the Linux" claims and in the same time they claim that "Linux is dying and nobody will use it soon". I saw these claims years ago and still fail to see any significant proof that Linux is indeed dying. Also WSL was supposed to kill Linux even faster and still nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Playing zoomer cs clone with kernel backdoor anticheat instead of linux native original csgo. Yikes.
                    In zoomer CS clone I've seen zero cheaters after playing it for days. In CSGO casual/MM I get a cheater or two every other match.

Comment

I am sure that was a joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X