No announcement yet.

about Id Tech4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well a GPLed ETQW would be definitely awesome, as that game has some much potential, but was ultimately so flawed at release (and still is I think) that it is not really worth playing

But given the history of scource release of only strictly in house titles I highly doubt that this will happen.

The Quake3 source code however included changes made for the expansion pack Team-Arena, thus maybe some changes have been merged back into the Doom3 code which gets released.

Comment

ETQW will NOT become GLP'ed - for starters it aint a iD product
      likewise there is no guarantee that iD will GPL their Tech4 engine

Comment

true, they only said it was a goal if all goes well.

but SD worked on it, SD did the original enemy territory and thats open sourced isn't it?

SD also mad the DOOM3 multi-player (although seriously lacking, it exists).

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post

but SD worked on it, SD did the original enemy territory and thats open sourced isn't it?
          SD did do ET, but it is released under their own licence (RTCW-ETEULA), free but not that kind of free, plus ET was a mod on RTCW

Their involvement was pretty much only on map design (some slight code stuff)

I hope iD release Tech4 as GPL (and that pretty much depends on how well they can get game houses to license Tech5), but don't expect SD to open up their bits.

Comment

Last I heard, Carmack said yes it would be opensourced, he just wasn't sure nor would he commit to any time period.

Comment

Only the original technology, id tech 3 (quake 3) which powered all those games has been GPL'ed. The derivative games are still closed. Actually, there are quake3 and enemy territory mods which are still closed source to this day, like Urban Terror for Q3 and True Combat for enemy territory. id tech 4 will definitely be GPL'ed, probably announced this quakecon, but i dont know about the derivative games from it. (quake 4, ETWQ, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                probably announced this quakecon
                Do you have any reason to believe that or is it just a shot in the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  SD did do ET, but it is released under their own licence (RTCW-ETEULA), free but not that kind of free, plus ET was a mod on RTCW
                  confirmed. It is infact a custom license.

Comment

From my understanding the release of code for RTCW:ET isn't "Open Source" by the definition of the term. It doesn't include all the code for it, just parts of it IIRC. And also the license prohibits things like commercial use of it. That makes it not Open Source according to the official OSI Open Source definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                      i was wondering about when Id software would release the game engine as GPL or LGPL... and i was wondering about the features that could be released, like megatexture as used in ETQW...

Cheers
                      The only timeline I've seen was "sometime after the last game is released" the last game being the new Wolfenstein game. Also remember that if someone licenses the engine after the release of the Wolfenstein game and before the gpl release, Carmack will be polite and wait a while longer (as he did when id tech 3 was released under the gpl).

Megatexture is available in Doom 3 but is more Proof of Concept than anything else<1>. You'd have to do a lot of work to make it a viable alternative to tiled terrain. The real question should be how much of the sound architecture will be ripped out because of the deal with Creative?

<1> http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Mega...logy_Mod;80169
                      Last edited by yogi_berra; 14 May 2009, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X