Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft 3D Movie Maker Released As Open-Source

Phoronix: Microsoft 3D Movie Maker Released As Open-Source

Microsoft has made public the source code to the original Microsoft 3D Movie Maker software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess this is their contribution to the Open 3D Foundation ?

Comment

And people use these kind of historical releases to say that Microsoft now releases a lot of open source things...
      Microsoft doesn't love open source and it will never will.
      It's just a wolf in sheep's clothes!

Comment

When your uncle gives you his shitty broken Samsung Galaxy S1 from 2010 and thinks he deserves to be considered a generous hero for that...

Comment

We need to continue to encourage behavior like this so that more historical applications can be released as open source - if nothing more than as a student/learner’s lesson as to the thought processes and coding practices “of the day” — and maybe help people figure out how to “bring up” legacy code to modernize aging applications that rely on outdated, insecure platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            I guess this is their contribution to the Open 3D Foundation ?
            While I completely agree with that I also have to speak in favour of 3D Movie Maker: it was an awesome toy back then in 1995
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Another contribution of immense value to humanity.

What's next - food that expired the previous century?

Comment

After reading quite a bit about the process they followed to open source such an ancient program, it really does demonstrate that companies like Microsoft are paralyzed when it comes to source code releases. They will never be able to engage with the modern world of open-source.

Was a fun program though. I would have really enjoyed the source code back then (or even after a couple of years after them ceasing sale of the original product, not sodding 20!). There was an oddly large community asking Microsoft to release this software for decades!

"Oh no! a Rat!"
                Last edited by kpedersen; 04 May 2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

How useful.

Comment

Having companies release the source code to abandonware is a good thing, not sure why so many people are complaining. I'd love to live in a world where all abandonware became FOSS, even EOL OSes, but baby steps are better than no steps at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X