X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    People complain because the contribution is near worthless. Sure it is, but it is still a contribution regardless.
    People: “Open source your projects, esp. if they are abandonware!!!”
    Also people (after the fact): “It's worthless to open source abandonware, what a shitty contribution!!!”

People suck. Period.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
    Foone (the person on Twitter that asked for it) will apparently fork it and try to make it work and maintain it going forward.

https://twitter.com/shanselman/statu...34107163619328
    I wonder who's going to use it and support him, though, as most people on here seem to not like the fact that it's now open source.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    And people use these kind of historical releases to say that Microsoft now releases a lot of open source things...
    Not just historical, they also open source newer things, like Visual Studio Code, .NET and the new Windows Terminal and Calculator.

Also, historical or not: please educate me, how many other (big) companies open source historical stuff? I cannot think of more than five.

So it's a good move on their part. Also, there's a small community still using this, so they would benefit from a good fork, which is already in the works: https://twitter.com/shanselman/statu...34107163619328

MS is not perfect and I too hate on them from time to time, but I'm also of the “let's give credit where due” kind. And this is one of those situations where they deserve credit.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 05 May 2022, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Crap software from crap company. There's nothing from them that would benefit Open Source. Not even driver for their miserable ntfs.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

And which project has substantial use cases on Linux? Vscode but this is comparable to "free OpenSource" Chrome. You pay by giving data.
    You can build VSCode from source and it won't have telemetry. Microsoft also created LSP (language server protocol) which is probably the most practical tool that has come out in the past decade for IDEs/editors/compilers.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by prometeo View Post

Even a really working Windows version would be nice... As of today, it's crashing like hell, taking down the system with it.
    I have been running Windoes for years on dozens of machines and at least from Windoes 7 to now I haven't gotten any crashes

Leave a comment:

• prometeo
    replied
    Originally posted by spirit View Post
    could microsoft opensource msteams ? like this, maybe somebody could fork it and make a real working client on linux ...
    Even a really working Windows version would be nice... As of today, it's crashing like hell, taking down the system with it.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    People seem to forget that Microsoft has a lot of open source projects. You don't have to be an MS fan in order to give them credit where they deserve it. You can hate Windows and DirectX, like I do, and still give them credit for their open source contributions.

https://opensource.microsoft.com/projects
    And which project has substantial use cases on Linux? Vscode but this is comparable to "free OpenSource" Chrome. You pay by giving data.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    After reading quite a bit about the process they followed to open source such an ancient program, it really does demonstrate that companies like Microsoft are paralyzed when it comes to source code releases. They will never be able to engage with the modern world of open-source.

Was a fun program though. I would have really enjoyed the source code back then (or even after a couple of years after them ceasing sale of the original product, not sodding 20!). There was an oddly large community asking Microsoft to release this software for decades!

"Oh no! a Rat!"
    Wouldn't be surprised if its the same reason why NVidia's driver is still closed source. Mind sharing a link?

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Albeit I totally support any company which is releasing ancient Software as open source. Even if it is just for archieving it in a history "vault". There are plenty of examples of distinct software pieces where the code got lost over the years and even piracy was saving somehow at least the final product (blade runner might be named here).
    But this should not distract us from the fact that the PR effects outhweight any cost for MS.
    The issue with MS and OpenSource is not that MS is not contributing enough. But if you give a closer look at how, what they contribute you can clearly see that OpenSource contributions for current used Projects are more or less only usable in/with the closed ecosystem of a Microsoft product you may name it Azure, WSL, Gfx Apis.
    A devils advocate would even allege that their " closed" OpenSource efforts are to gain free dev resources by voluntary contributions. Embodied in a modern positive image which does not "allow" to draw conclusion as just mentioned

Leave a comment:

Working...
X