Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Gaming Usage Grew In April

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Gaming Usage Grew In April

Valve just published the updated Steam Hardware/Software Survey results for April 2022 providing a look at the Linux marketshare for April among other interesting metrics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's getting better; but the desktop experience still has a wee way to go IMO.

Needs HDR/AutoHDR,30bit working for everything...
    Wayland needs to resolve outstanding issues and limitations inc missing colour and gamma controls (I know hacked wlroots sway has some stuff)
    There is also still some work to be done with Dual Display support, thought likely X11 has reached its limits.

Lots of little things which unfortunately are rather massive undertakings to get support for apparently...

Comment

And...
      - "Intel CPU Speeds" (do they not count AMD?) - wait, never mind. They do count AMD as well, but not on the global metrics.
      - "Physical CPUs" instead of "Cores" (if anything, only 0.0001% of people would play games on a multi-CPU system)
      - "Above 1 TB". Where is 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB and Above 4TB?
      - "Other Setting" still has: SSE2/SSE3 (apparently mandatory to install Steam) and NTFS (where is HFS, APFS, ext4, Btrfs and the like?)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        It's getting better; but the desktop experience still has a wee way to go IMO.

Needs HDR/AutoHDR,30bit working for everything...
        Wayland needs to resolve outstanding issues and limitations inc missing colour and gamma controls (I know hacked wlroots sway has some stuff)
        There is also still some work to be done with Dual Display support, thought likely X11 has reached its limits.

Lots of little things which unfortunately are rather massive undertakings to get support for apparently...
        Well, Quadro supports at least 36 bit HDR. There used to be 3D glass support. Argyllcms & colord support for Wayland. Tear free multi monitor support when using screens having different max vsync rate & adaptive vsync. Monitor overclocking. Latest HDCP support for DRM 4k video playback. Switching KMS & Wayland to explicit sync. No biggies.
        Last edited by caligula; 02 May 2022, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Ahh, yeah. The fourteen basis points... I signed back in after Ubuntu 22.04 came out of beta.

Comment

Nothing better than watching numbers go up

Comment

How many Steam Decks have shipped? I would expect to see way more than 0.5% AMD share boost with Steam Deck figures being included.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well, Quadro supports at least 36 bit HDR. There used to be 3D glass support. Argyllcms & colord support for Wayland. Tear free multi monitor support when using screens having different max vsync rate & adaptive vsync. Monitor overclocking. Latest HDCP support for DRM 4k video playback. Switching KMS & Wayland to explicit sync. No biggies.
                Well VRR does not enable or function correctly with multi-display under X11 and unsure about Wayland, probably same issue. (this is with main screen VRR and another non-VRR screen). The 24+bit colour support is a application issue and while many things can work, other things have render issues. You gotta really try it to understand the issues with it!

Comment

Originally posted by user556 View Post
                  How many Steam Decks have shipped? I would expect to see way more than 0.5% AMD share boost with Steam Deck figures being included.
                  The Steam survey is a hardware and software survey, both of which are known in the Steam Deck.
                  I'd be surprised if there are any accounts of the survey appearing for Deck users.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

The Steam survey is a hardware and software survey, both of which are known in the Steam Deck.
                    I'd be surprised if there are any accounts of the survey appearing for Deck users.
                    The same is valid for every PC, you don't need to fill any form with your system specs, but you need to agree to send them
                    I hope is the same for the Steam Deck or maybe Valve asks you to send them automatically when you first power on its device?

Comment

Working...
                    X