Microsoft Joins The Open 3D Foundation For Advancing Open-Source 3D Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlau View Post

It's to prevent DX12 from becoming irrelevant everywhere but the xbox.
    Except for the fact there are already more DX12 games released than Vulkan ones.

BTW, O3DE already supports DX12, too.

So, how is DX12 going to become irrevelant exactly?

Do note that I would also prefer to see Vulkan everywhere, but spreading misinformation won't get us there...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      So, how is DX12 going to become irrevelant exactly?
      It's not. "Preventing to become irrelevant" means that it's likely not becoming irrelevant.

Comment

Microsoft is open-source friendly but only when it benefits... Microsoft and its ecosystems.
        It's like quicksand.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 02 May 2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure the value of a 3d engine is what it once was. The competition are building ecosystems to help developers build content more quickly. Equivalents to Megascans and Metahuman creator.

Comment

This probably has nothing to do with graphics. My guess is that this is load assets from Azure, download game updates from Azure, and do multiplayer gaming on Azure.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              This is like a Tobacco company donating money to cancer research...
              Or the US and EU funding "free" mass media and promoting "democracy" in other countries. Wolves in sheep's clothes everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Or the US and EU funding "free" mass media and promoting "democracy" in other countries. Wolves in sheep's clothes everywhere.
                Still beats that Russia Today you consume all day...

Comment

This reminds me of Valve, Oculus and Microsoft joining the OpenXR foundation which is absolutely laughable. These three guys are causing the biggest damage to VR. None of them provide support for open-platforms, no documentation and they all lock users into their broken DRM stores.

The only project which has been useful to OpenXR is OpenHMD which is completely underfunded and has had to reverse engineer the hardware / lenses from the headsets. This is even the technical underpinning of the Monado OpenXR runtime.

Sometimes I believe that the only use of "foundations" is to collect the scum of the industry into one place so professional industries know whos input to disregard.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Still beats that Russia Today you consume all day...
                    I barely read RT or any news agency because they're all propaganda, though RT is one that lies the least.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      Microsoft is open-source friendly but only when it benefits... Microsoft.
                      It's like quicksand.
                      No way! A company trying to benefit themselves? That's so uncommon!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X