No announcement yet.

Microsoft Joins The Open 3D Foundation For Advancing Open-Source 3D Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Joins The Open 3D Foundation For Advancing Open-Source 3D Development

Phoronix: Microsoft Joins The Open 3D Foundation For Advancing Open-Source 3D Development

Microsoft has joined the Open 3D Foundation that was started by the Linux Foundation when Amazon's Lumberyard game engine went on to form the Open 3D Engine. Microsoft is now backing the Open 3D Foundation and the Open 3D Engine for promoting open-source 3D game and simulation development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft Joins The Open 3D Foundation For Advancing Open-Source 3D Development
    Pretty sure that's not what they joined the open 3d foundation for... If it was, we'd be seeing open source directx in the near future, and we're not gonna see that. I don't know what they joined for (betting it's something to do with microsoft game studios, i mean it kinda has to be), but advancing open source 3d development just can't be the reason.
    Last edited by rabcor; 02 May 2022, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Did DirectX(every bit of it) get open sourced and ported to Linux and FreeBSD?

Comment

This is like a Tobacco company donating money to cancer research...

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Pretty sure that's not what they joined the open 3d foundation for... If it was, we'd be seeing open source directx in the near future, and we're not gonna see that. I don't know what they joined for (betting it's something to do with microsoft game studios, i mean it kinda has to be), but advancing open source 3d development just can't be the reason.
          It's to prevent DX12 from becoming irrelevant everywhere but the xbox.

Comment

They should be careful. When MS was still in OpenGL they delayed it and messed with it until they had their next DX out and - purely coincidentally - lost interest in "contributing" to OpenGL. MS so often was a hidden poision to a project, on should take utmost precautions.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they want to try to make windows-only-features like direct storage available to at least keep some kind of vendor lock-in...

Comment

Originally posted by Microsoft
                Microsoft's roots in creativity run deep...
                Unless I am misremembering, Microsoft was founded and found success on the back of some actions which would now land a startup in a whole ocean of extremely hot water.

But maybe I'm misremembering.

Comment

I also guess this is to funnel DirectX into OpenSource 3D Projects like game engines etc. On top it looks generous and of course MS shills and shenanigans will advertise it and use it as "look MS is OpenSource friendly"/"MS has changed" ...

Comment

I don't know what they joined for (betting it's something to do with microsoft game studios, i mean it kinda has to be)
                    Amazon licensed and then open-sourced a version of CryEngine to advance AWS for the server back-ends of games. I bet you that Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios as nothing to do with this, their games won't even use this engine (they announced a collaboration with Epic on UE5, putting even their own idTech on the back foot), and this is 100% the Azure division.

Comment

Working...
                    X