Microsoft Joins The Open 3D Foundation For Advancing Open-Source 3D Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> "and whatever platform they're creating for"

You have to admit, that part was pretty funny.

The piece people seem to be misunderstanding is this:

> "Microsoft [...] making its tools and technologies available"

That just means "making sure that the DX backend is the preferred one", usually by ensuring that the alternatives bitrot, or are unavailable, or are crippled in some way.

To take an easy and current example, DStorage will have no analog in the win32 API, and no attempt at an alternative implementation will be anything like as performant. Think of it as if splice() was only available to RH-sponsored programs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yep, but at least they don't try hard to tie people to their different ecosystem unlike Microsoft (Windows).
      You are derailing from the point. Whether they tie people to different ecosystems or lock down their customers in a single product line is irrelevant to the question.

The question is specifically whether there exists companies that contribute to open source without commercial benefit.

Yes, I understand there are trillions of volunteers who contribute at their own time, but we are talking about companies.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I barely read RT or any news agency because they're all propaganda, though RT is one that lies the least.
        Now THAT is funny. Pure gold.

RT (formerly Russia Today or Rossiya Segodnya (Russian: Россия Сегодня)) is a Russian state-controlled.....

Ok, I think we can stop there.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

Now THAT is funny. Pure gold.

Ok, I think we can stop there.[/COLOR]
          It's pathetic that you seem to think that state-controlled means anything. It doesn't. All relevant mass media in the world is controlled by tycoons, secret services or governments - which in every country are synonyms. Last time I checked the BBC is also "state-controlled", but of course that's conveniently "different", are you still laughing? Just curious.
          Military doublespeak.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            It's pathetic that you seem to think that state-controlled means anything. It doesn't.
            Yes it does. Of course it does.

All relevant mass media in the world is controlled by tycoons, secret services or governments - which in every country are synonyms.
            Your tinfoil hat is strapped on too tight, preventing the oxygen from reaching your brain, thus clouding your judgement.

Last time I checked the BBC is also "state-controlled",
            No, it is not. You don't seem to know the difference between state controlled and public service. Per definition, a free democracy can not have state controlled media.

but of course that's conveniently "different", are you still laughing? Just curious.
            No, first I found it hilarious, but now I just feel sad for you.

Let's do a very very simple litmus test to see if RT can be considered to be an independent news agency. Do they use the word "war" to describe the war in Ukraine?

Nope? Instant failure.
            Last edited by tomas; 04 May 2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Yes it does. Of course it does.

Your tinfoil hat is strapped on too tight, preventing the oxygen from reaching your brain, thus clouding your judgement.
              Irrelevant bla-bla-bla.

No, it is not. You don't seem to know the difference between state controlled and public service. Per definition, a free democracy can not have state controlled media.
              No, first I found it hilarious, but now I just feel sad for you.
              First off there's no such thing as "free democracy" because for this you have to actually have free, non censoring mass media and masses that have critical thinking, lack bias, and when before jumping to conclusions do research on the matter from both sides, not making their opinions based on what their mass media tells them about the other side.
              Instead you have circular reasoning - you're the product of your own media and it sets up the situational ethics and harsh censorship - that's what ALL western media is doing about the Ukraine right now.

Let's do a very very simple litmus test to see if RT can be considered to be an independent news agency. Do they use the word "war" to describe the war in Ukraine?

Nope? Instant failure.
              Let's do a very very simple litmus test to see if Western Media can be considered to be an independent news agency. Do they use the word "Ukrainian nazies" to describe Ukrainian nazies.
              Nope? Instant failure.

Comment

Nope? Instant failure.
                In case you have no clue what I'm talking about

1488 - 5.jpg

In non-western controlled mass media there's loads of photos of Ukranian soldiers with swastika tatoos, with "1488", "totenkopf panzer division", and a shitload of other neo-nazi garbage.

Instead BBC and suchlike ask such a nazi "Are you a nazi?", the nazi he says "no, I'm a Ukrainian patriot.", the BBC reporter turns to camera "See, that's Russian propaganda, Azov isn't a nazi group".
                Last edited by cl333r; 04 May 2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Modern Linux for AAA games has already failed to get adopted by much of the industry. Just look at the number of games using Unreal Engine that are Windows only (The bloody engine is Linux native and still noone will release games for it). Linux remains a very distant very lame option for games. Even the Unity games that get native builds suck: (only supporting a single monitor setup, crashing on startup without throwing errors/warnings etc). I recently tried 7 Days to Die for Linux, it has Vulkan and OpenGL. Both versions crash, the Vulkan port is basically unusable, the OpenGL port got ingame but then crashed. Linux gaming is still years away from making any sort of inroad into mainstream PC gaming.

Comment

Working...
                  X