Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kpedersen
    replied
    This reminds me of Valve, Oculus and Microsoft joining the OpenXR foundation which is absolutely laughable. These three guys are causing the biggest damage to VR. None of them provide support for open-platforms, no documentation and they all lock users into their broken DRM stores.

The only project which has been useful to OpenXR is OpenHMD which is completely underfunded and has had to reverse engineer the hardware / lenses from the headsets. This is even the technical underpinning of the Monado OpenXR runtime.

Sometimes I believe that the only use of "foundations" is to collect the scum of the industry into one place so professional industries know whos input to disregard.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Or the US and EU funding "free" mass media and promoting "democracy" in other countries. Wolves in sheep's clothes everywhere.
    Still beats that Russia Today you consume all day...

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    This is like a Tobacco company donating money to cancer research...
    Or the US and EU funding "free" mass media and promoting "democracy" in other countries. Wolves in sheep's clothes everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    This probably has nothing to do with graphics. My guess is that this is load assets from Azure, download game updates from Azure, and do multiplayer gaming on Azure.

Leave a comment:

• UpSideDown
    replied
    I'm not sure the value of a 3d engine is what it once was. The competition are building ecosystems to help developers build content more quickly. Equivalents to Megascans and Metahuman creator.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Microsoft is open-source friendly but only when it benefits... Microsoft and its ecosystems.
    It's like quicksand.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 02 May 2022, 03:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    So, how is DX12 going to become irrevelant exactly?
    It's not. "Preventing to become irrelevant" means that it's likely not becoming irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau View Post

It's to prevent DX12 from becoming irrelevant everywhere but the xbox.
    Except for the fact there are already more DX12 games released than Vulkan ones.

BTW, O3DE already supports DX12, too.

So, how is DX12 going to become irrevelant exactly?

Do note that I would also prefer to see Vulkan everywhere, but spreading misinformation won't get us there...

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    I don't know what they joined for (betting it's something to do with microsoft game studios, i mean it kinda has to be)
    Amazon licensed and then open-sourced a version of CryEngine to advance AWS for the server back-ends of games. I bet you that Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios as nothing to do with this, their games won't even use this engine (they announced a collaboration with Epic on UE5, putting even their own idTech on the back foot), and this is 100% the Azure division.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    I also guess this is to funnel DirectX into OpenSource 3D Projects like game engines etc. On top it looks generous and of course MS shills and shenanigans will advertise it and use it as "look MS is OpenSource friendly"/"MS has changed" ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X