Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RejectModernity
    replied
    Eternal Jensen "Leather Jacket" Huang strikes again...

Leave a comment:

• slembcke@gmail.com
    replied
    I've been using Wayland almost exclusively for over a year now on my RX 5700 desktop machine and an Intel UHD laptop. Mostly I love it, but I can definitely understand why people think it's not ready. It fixes a number of minor (but rather annoying) presentation, tearing, timing, and multi-display issues even when running stuff in XWayland. The main downsides I've run into is screen recording or sharing programs generally don't work, and a few programs (some Qt based stuff like RenderDoc) that need to be forced to use XWayland to work correctly.

Though highly anecdotal, my biggest frustrations was recording gameplay snippets for my gamedev project. OBS Studio on Wayland kinda just didn't work on my Pop OS machine. Switching to X was not great either as the X screengrab stuff makes the game stutter like mad, and the resulting video is unusable too). Turns out the problem is my 144 hz display, and I can fix it by switching the display to 60hz, but what a pain! I have another drive with Fedora on it for testing, and noticed that all of this "just works" there. Wayland, mixed refresh/capture rate and all. I suppose the new pipewire code will trickle down into the Ubuntu derivative sooner than later.

Anyway, Wayland seems like it fixes a number of X11s rough edges (or at least it has for me as a graphics dev), and the remaining issues keep getting more and more minor. I haven't had an Nvidia machine in a years, but it's been great on my AMD and Intel systems. Color me excited!

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6249

It's impossible to write games without input lag.
    I wouldn't be too worried about little things like that. IIRC most platforms use 3 image deep swapchains by default (GL, DX, etc) I get 3 images by default in my game on RADV, so it's not like everything is being forced to have extra on Wayland. Could be a bug in retro-arch too, and stuff like that crops up and gets fixed all the time.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 18 April 2022, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vermilion
    replied
    Wayland is still not viable, even with open source drivers. Look at this nonsense:

Doesn't the linked page literally say: It works with amdvlk but not radv, with Wayland and on the same hardware? How is that a Wayland problem?

Leave a comment:

• Myownfriend
    replied
    Wayland is still not viable, even with open source drivers. Look at this nonsense:

With the way things have been going these last 5 years or so, it appears The Year Of The Wayland Desktop will probably arrive in about 20 years.
    That person who created that issue even states that they only noticed the input lag in Retroarch and some in the discussion believe it's a Retroarch issue. As someone who follows emulation community somewhat closely, I can tell you that Retroarch isn't exactly known to be well-made and many discourage use of it not just because of that but also because of abusive behavior on the part of the one of the developers towards emulator developers.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied

With the way things have been going these last 5 years or so, it appears The Year Of The Wayland Desktop will probably arrive in about 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Myownfriend
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    The only problem here is people pushing Wayland when its clearly not ready and in reality NVidia drivers is a tiny part of that problem.
    What is this supposed to mean? Literally none of the reasons stated for this reversion have anything to do with the protocol. They literally said that the Wayland support in SDL is stable but they're reverting because of issues with third party software and they were first to point out Nvidia drivers.

The reason that OBS doesn't work properly on Wayland on Nvidia hardware is because Nvidia drivers don't support EGL_NATIVE_RENDERABLE. The reason why Gnome night light doesn't work on Nvidia hardware in Wayland is because the driver doesn't support GAMMA_LUT and according to Nvidia it's part of the reason why Gamescope has issues running on Nvidia hardware either.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by xcom View Post
    I still wait for Steam and Chrome, Chromium to support Wayland. These are really needed for full Wayland switch.
    Actually Chrome / mium works really well in wayland, they also put an option in the flags, if you set it to auto, depending on if you are using xorg or wayland it will boot in native mode. At the moment however it is still set to xorg by default, but is set to change with future releases where it will be set to "auto" instead of the current xorg. However Chrome works really well native wayland on Plasma too.

Leave a comment:

• MadCatX
    replied
    I guess that if nVidia hadn't been sabotaging proper Wayland support for years, most of these bugs would've been worked out already. If only AMD had truly competitive GPUs earlier

I've been on the latest KDE with Wayland for a few months now and the experience is perfectly fine. The one app that needs to get its stuff together is Zoom but even that mostly works.

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by howarth View Post
    Matches what Ubuntu did yesterday for gdm3 for the 22.04 LTS release...

"gdm3 (42.0-1ubuntu6) jammy; urgency=medium

* Fix Wayland no longer being available for everyone
    - Fix by adding a separate revert patch instead of trying to
    rebase the cherry-picked patches (LP: #1969243)
    * Please note that Wayland is not currently available for
    systems using the Nvidia graphics drivers because those drivers
    don't properly handle suspend and resuming from suspend. It is
    intended for those drivers to be fixed in a future stable release
    update for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. See bug 1968929"

So until apparently until at least 22.04.01 Wayland won't be offered under the Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
    wayland promises land still lives

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Sigh.

The very first thing that was named. Nvidia still holding back Wayland adoption.

Could we get some flooding of Nvidia's bug report forum so they finally do something? It's so annoying. It's really so annoying.
    Wow exaggerate/sensationalist much?

Out of the 6 things on the list, you bold the one thing that is controversial? Even completely ignoring the fact that Wayland support from NVidia driver is very fresh where as everything else on that list is Linux ecosystem issues that have literally existed for years.

The only problem here is people pushing Wayland when its clearly not ready and in reality NVidia drivers is a tiny part of that problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X