Steam On Linux For March Drops Down To 1.00%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

There's appimage, where you can run it just by one click.

Most websites provide Windows installer, not one click runnable exe, I think the same kind of Linux installer can be done if somebody wants to, auto invoking package managers to install stuff and install the app.
    I'm now running Fedora. Tell me how to double click this appimage in my XFCE. Sorry, it doesn't work. It's shit. Just like Snap and Flatpak.

"Windows installer"? The fuck you're talking about? MSI (Microsoft Installer) maybe? Works on every Windows version starting with Windows 98. As universal and portable as exe. It just fucking works. You don't need to run a special Windows version to be able to use it. Still, it's relatively rarely used.

MSI is mainly intended for large organization to deploy software using group policies. Oh, wait, there's nothing like that in Linux. No GPO, nothing, SSH into each of your workstations and run distro specific commands. Oh, crap.

Linux on the desktop no matter how and at what angle you're looking at it remains a crap OS. I mean literally tens of thousands of incompatible crap OSes.

Comment

Received the Steam Survey after quite a while of not getting it. Using the Steam Beta client on my linux gaming tower, so I'm glad to finally have personal confirmation that one can get the survey even when using the Beta client.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The OS of Steam Handheld is irrelevant and will not make Linux more or less popular because people just do not care. How many people around you know and understand what Android is? How many of them are aware that it contains the Linux kernel? 0.1%? Less than that? The same applies to this handheld.

If this handheld becomes really popular, of course Linux fans will use it as an opportunity to boast only it's effing stupid and has zero merit. How's the Linux kernel in Android improved desktop Linux overall? It hasn't.

Proton will surely get better and better at running Windows games - that's the only positive outcome only it's a very dubious one.

That will mean desktop Linux will get better at running alien software. Wow, great. Not at all. It's like celebrating how beautifully VirtualBox works under Linux.
        Artem, once you start raging, you tend to weaken your ability of reading comprehension:

I was specifically talking about the public SteamOS 3.0 release, which Valve promised to deliver soon-ish, so that anyone could go ahead and install it on their own PC.

At least on Windows-centric gaming sites, I get the impression of some kind of dissatisfaction with Windows 11.
        Of course, most of these sheep-consumers will continue to do what they are best at, namely consume.
        Still, I'm pretty sure a part of them will give SteamOS 3.0 a try, mostly out of curiosity & brand-recognition.
        If Valve then manages to nail the all-important first-impression part, it could give Linux a push forward on the desktop.
        But if they fail, then it's fair to assume that Linux will probably forever remain that 1% OS on the desktop.

We'll see...

Comment

I'm now running Fedora. Tell me how to double click this appimage in my XFCE. Sorry, it doesn't work. It's shit. Just like Snap and Flatpak.

"Windows installer"? The fuck you're talking about? MSI (Microsoft Installer) maybe? Works on every Windows version starting with Windows 98. As universal and portable as exe. It just fucking works. You don't need to run a special Windows version to be able to use it. Still, it's relatively rarely used.

MSI is mainly intended for large organization to deploy software using group policies. Oh, wait, there's nothing like that in Linux. No GPO, nothing, SSH into each of your workstations and run distro specific commands. Oh, crap.

Linux on the desktop no matter how and at what angle you're looking at it remains a crap OS. I mean literally tens of thousands of incompatible crap OSes.
          You need to mark the downloaded file as executable first.

The browser automatically set the file as read/write, but not executable to prevent any security risk.

Everytime I install softwares on Windows, I use WSI or something like that, I seldomly used application that can be click and run, since I mostly download softwares that I am going to use again and again.

If you are maintaining multiple work stations or multiple servers, chances are that you are running the same distro, and for server it is most likely to be debian/ubuntu/centos (derivations)/redhat.

For desktop, we have snap/flatpak/homebrew, which is available on any distro , homebrew is also available on mac.

For server side, we have docker/podman, which makes distributing softwares dead simple but bundling an environment and proviide prebuilt image.

Comment

The OS of Steam Handheld is irrelevant and will not make Linux more or less popular because people just do not care. How many people around you know and understand what Android is? How many of them are aware that it contains the Linux kernel? 0.1%? Less than that? The same applies to this handheld.

If this handheld becomes really popular, of course Linux fans will use it as an opportunity to boast only it's effing stupid and has zero merit. How's the Linux kernel in Android improved desktop Linux overall? It hasn't.
            Valve has already directly invested an enormous amount in the Linux ecosystem in ways that benefit all of us, from the low-level stuff all the way to the KDE-based UI layer.

Comment

The pre-installed OS myth among Linux fans just refuses to die

Nope, that has never been the real issue and it has almost nothing to do with Linux being (very un)popular.

The real issue is packaging and applications. In bug ridden broken malware infested Windows (all myths btw), you run an .exe and it. just. works.

Wake me up when it's the case with Linux. In year 2122 maybe?
              Calling it a myth does not make it untrue. Try calling 2 + 2 = 4 a myth and see how untrue it becomes.

As for just running a .exe and it working, the latest Windows will block people from doing that. I know a guy who could not install signal desktop on his windows machine. Clearly, the inability to do that on the latest Windows is not hurting Windows’ install base.

Comment

Setif the fragmantation in the car industry is insane: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Car_brands

IT'S CALLED CHOICE

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but I think the comparison with Android doesn't add up. Mainly because while Google doesn't mention Linux anywhere except its developer documentation, Valve explicitly markets Steam OS as a Linux based system (and even mentions that it's based on Arch). Additionally, Valve promised to release Steam OS images for PC, so it's not treated as an obscure appliance-specific OS. And lastly, the targets of Steam OS are somewhat tech-savvy, as opposed to the mostly tech illiterate Android crowd.

Comment

Steam On Linux For March Drops Down To 1.00%
                    Oh crap. Sorry folks. I did a fresh install and only put Minecraft and Chrome back.

Comment

Thanks to the steam deck shipment estimator the Discord has, IIRC we know the Deck is not gonna dent linux marketshare this summer.

It may not even dent it this year, without a dramatic increase in production.

Comment

Working...
                      X