Lutris 0.5.10 Released With Steam Deck Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by royce View Post

Lutris is open source, so feel free to contribute or fork. Moaning about something as meaningless as the placement of a menu on an app you get so much out of is just being ingrate.
    Ah, there we go again. Everyone has to contribute code because is everyone is a developer. *sigh* [/s]

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      I will mention, you can drag on any standard buttons in a GTK CSD app and it will drag the window. Not immediately obvious at first, but once you find out it's pretty useful.
      Oh, that's nice to know indeed!
      Too bad most of Lutris' title bar is a search input field that can unfortunately not be used to drag the window ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        With an extension such as Unite on Gnome or an applet like Pixel Saver on Budgie, which are UI delicacies and proper standard design, the Gnome CSD titlebars become a huge waste of space.
        CSDs are big vertical space eaters on laptops in general..
        Open any gnome app and measure its top controls in pixels, then open any KDE app and messure its top controls.
        The CSD is much slimmer then the Window Control + Menu Bar + Quick Item Bar each of those classic "superior" apps have. Tl;dr: BS.

Plus, you are wrong on the dragging. It happens very often than hitting and holding over a button in the CSD titlebar triggers an action instead of allowing us to drag the window.
        I do not know what toolkit that supposedly was but it can not be GTK, those buttons only act on release and a movement of the window terminates the action. You can not trigger a CSD button by that.

In any case, even if you were right, it´s absolutely counter-intuitive and it´s a natural reaction to find an empty space to perform that action. Hence, it´s a design flaw for anyone with a bit of common sense.
        Its a design flaw for everyone who has not progressed in computing since 1995.

Important for you, stay where you are, stay stuck in 1995, but stop complaining that the world around you moved on.
        Last edited by Alexmitter; 02 April 2022, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          I do not know what toolkit that supposedly was but it can not be GTK, those buttons only act on release and a movement of the window terminates the action. You can not trigger a CSD button by that.
          I don't know about triggering an action, but, since I have a copy of Evince kicking around, I can confirm that you can't drag the headerbar by grabbing inside any text/dropdown field... of which Evince has two (current page and current zoom level).

Comment

Open any gnome app and measure its top controls in pixels, then open any KDE app and messure its top controls.
            The CSD is much slimmer then the Window Control + Menu Bar + Quick Item Bar each of those classic "superior" apps have. Tl;dr: BS.
            I don't use KDE.
            With the mentioned extension or applet, I have more vertical space than you to read actual content. CSDs prevent it from being even shorter, and for that they're a real pain.

You're the kind of people with such a limited workflow that you always swear everything you use works perfectly, but whenever you must show something to somebody out of your normal use, you get all kinds of bugs, freezes and stuff. I can see it from very far away.

Its a design flaw for everyone who has not progressed in computing since 1995.

Important for you, stay where you are, stay stuck in 1995, but stop complaining that the world around you moved on.
            The usual diatribe of a simpleton 5-years old Russian-like Fedora paid troll. There is no nuance whatsoever in all the crap you write.
            I could bet my paradigm is much more modern than yours, but I won't waste further time with close-minded bigots of your kind with zero tolerance for anything that is not how you do or what you use. For trolls of your kind, what you use is the single version of the truth, for the lack of ability to envision the world around.

Comment

I use the lutris flatpak on Fedora Kinoite and I haven't had any issues once the dependent platform flatpaks are also installed. I had to add org.gnome.Platform.Compat.i386, after that it was fine. I didn't have to remount my system RW or layer any packages on my ostree either. Unless the immutability of SteamOS is significantly different to Silverblue/Kinoite, I cant see it being an issue

Comment

With an extension such as Unite on Gnome or an applet like Pixel Saver on Budgie, which are UI delicacies and proper standard design, the Gnome CSD titlebars become a huge waste of space.
                CSDs are big vertical space eaters on laptops in general.

Plus, you are wrong on the dragging. It happens very often than hitting and holding over a button in the CSD titlebar triggers an action instead of allowing us to drag the window.
                In any case, even if you were right, it´s absolutely counter-intuitive and it´s a natural reaction to find an empty space to perform that action. Hence, it´s a design flaw for anyone with a bit of common sense.
                Just like menu bar and toolbar are „taking space”. CSD In GNOME is supposed to replace titlebar, menubar and toolbar, not just titlebar. Comparing CSD to only traditional titlebar doesn’t make any sense.

Buttons are generating click event when they are released. Holding and dragging them is not supposed to generate action. Not following traditional metaphor is not design flaw ot without common sense. Sure not everybody likes it and that’s fine but it’s just preference, not common sense or something.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Just like menu bar and toolbar are „taking space”. CSD In GNOME is supposed to replace titlebar, menubar and toolbar, not just titlebar. Comparing CSD to only traditional titlebar doesn’t make any sense.
                  It makes total sense to me when I have one or two more lines visible on the screen at once. I am talking about vertical space, hence it is definitely comparing apples to apples. Thus relevant.

Buttons are generating click event when they are released. Holding and dragging them is not supposed to generate action.
                  And yet it sometimes does. Either it´s a bug or some app didn´t implement it properly, I don´t care. The bottom line is it doesn´t work reliably.

Not following traditional metaphor is not design flaw ot without common sense. Sure not everybody likes it and that’s fine but it’s just preference, not common sense or something.
                  That presupposition that it is not following traditional metaphor always makes me laugh, and I´m pretty sure it means in your head (let me guess) a supposed "Windows 95 metaphor" that you define every other DE than Gnome with, without the slightest nuance. Like every brainwashed Gnome users.
                  While there are many metaphors in the Linux world, half of them not being "traditional" (I´m trying to think with your alleged terms) and some of them being much more modern than Gnome´s.

Comment

That presupposition that it is not following traditional metaphor always makes me laugh, and I´m pretty sure it means in your head (let me guess) a supposed "Windows 95 metaphor" that you define every other DE than Gnome with, without the slightest nuance.
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, from what I remember:
                    1. That particular design decision traces all the way back to the original release of MacOS in 1984... probably to Lisa OS in 1983, and possibly to the Xerox Alto if it has the relevant widgets in some screenshot I haven't seen... and then flowed forward as one of the things copied by imitators like pre-95 Windows, GEM, Amiga Workbench, BeOS, etc. (It's been a long time, though, and I've barely used GEM, Amiga Workbench, or BeOS, so I could be wrong on them.)
                    2. KDE, GNOME 2.x, Xfce, LXDE, LXQt, and various loose applications and window managers all behave the same on that point, as do all the relevant web-based UI components I've personally used that aren't intended to troll the user... though I will admit it's been a while since I used anything but KDE or LXDE and I've never tried any EFL-based GUIs aside from from Terminology, where I'm not sure I had the opportunity to notice.

(Being able to drag a window by grabbing the menu bar was implemented by specific GTK themes originally developed by GNOME, and then got adopted more universally as an analogue to how Qt and GTK context menus will behave like Windows or MacOS context menus depending on whether you click-drag, but that's a particularly tame example, because you're still grabbing blank space. Click-dragging on the actual menu titles themselves does not begin a window drag.)
                    GNOME 3.x is very much the outlier here.
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 07 April 2022, 05:50 AM.

Comment

It makes total sense to me when I have one or two more lines visible on the screen at once. I am talking about vertical space, hence it is definitely comparing apples to apples. Thus relevant.
                      GNOME header bar merges titlebar, menubar and toolbar into one thing. It's not just titlebar so comparing it to only titlebar doesn't make any sense. Apple pie is not the same thing as apple despite apple is part of it.

And yet it sometimes does. Either it´s a bug or some app didn´t implement it properly, I don´t care. The bottom line is it doesn´t work reliably.
                      Well, if one bug is enough to call something not reliable then many things will become unreliable. It's not supposed to behave this way and in applications I use it's working like it's supposed to do.

That presupposition that it is not following traditional metaphor always makes me laugh, and I´m pretty sure it means in your head (let me guess) a supposed "Windows 95 metaphor" that you define every other DE than Gnome with, without the slightest nuance. Like every brainwashed Gnome users.
                      While there are many metaphors in the Linux world, half of them not being "traditional" (I´m trying to think with your alleged terms) and some of them being much more modern than Gnome´s.
                      If we are talking about CSD then it's not very big choice here. You have CSD or not have. GNOME is not only DE that is not following traditional design. It's also not most modern. But it's probably one of the most non traditional designs. It's also often compared to GNOME 2 which is sometimes described as "last good GNOME". GNOME 2 was pretty traditional design. Same goes for Windows as well. Windows 8 got many bad opinions for Start Menu removal. So, I think conclusions are obvious. What makes me laugh are peoples who believe their opinion is so superior that if somebody denies it then it must be "brainwashed". Just look at this denialism - "If I don't like it then it must be bad and nobody sane would like it". And we are not talking about some small project but one of the biggest and most popular Linux desktops. So many "brainwashed" users.

Comment

Working...
                      X