Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lutris 0.5.10 Released With Steam Deck Support

Phoronix: Lutris 0.5.10 Released With Steam Deck Support

Lutris as the open-source game manager that is popular with Linux gamers for managing titles across the likes of Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, and other sources. Today's Lutris 0.5.10 release brings support for the Steam Deck along with other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My Linux hard drive is failing so I have been using win10 for the past week. I lunched steam today and it asked me to do the survey. LMAO

Comment

It would be great if Lutris developers would stop with the Gome only mentality and make it not look like crap on other desktop environments.

I hate when programs put all the crap in the title bar that I barely find an empty space when I want to drag it to somewhere or to one of the edges of the screen to make it full screen or half screen.

Also I hate when they don't respect my window decorations that take care of how the title bars look like and how window control buttons (minimize, maximize, close) look like.

Lutris is one of those.

They could at least do it like Chromium, which has an option if you want the stuff in the title bar (which breaks window decorations) or not, which makes it look and behave like all the other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It would be great if Lutris developers would stop with the Gnome only mentality and make it not look like crap on other desktop environments.

I hate when programs put all the crap in the title bar that I barely find an empty space when I want to drag it to somewhere or to one of the edges of the screen to make it full screen or half screen.

Also I hate when they don't respect my window decorations that take care of how the title bars look like and how window control buttons (minimize, maximize, close) look like.

Lutris is one of those.

They could at least do it like Chromium, which has an option if you want the stuff in the title bar (which breaks window decorations) or not, which makes it look and behave like all the other programs.
        I could equally complain about non-Gnome apps wasting titlebar space on my 14" laptop screen, the reality is just that there are 2 very different paradigms at play here. I will mention, you can drag on any standard buttons in a GTK CSD app and it will drag the window. Not immediately obvious at first, but once you find out it's pretty useful.

Comment

It would be great if Lutris developers would stop with the Gome only mentality and make it not look like crap on other desktop environments.

Lutris is one of those.

Then why not change it yourself ?
          Great release, I love the Origin and Ubisoft Support.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
            I could equally complain about non-Gnome apps wasting titlebar space on my 14" laptop screen, the reality is just that there are 2 very different paradigms at play here. I will mention, you can drag on any standard buttons in a GTK CSD app and it will drag the window. Not immediately obvious at first, but once you find out it's pretty useful.
            Doesn't change that, for things like Evince, I have to use gtk3-nocsd's LD_PRELOAD to get back features like my Kwin "middle-click titlebar to send to the bottom of the stack" behaviour.

Thankfully, Okular is in a state where I rarely run into something that needs Evince. As for Lutris, if they keep going this way, the experimental platform (old screenshot) for code I plan to make available to them won't just be an experimental platform.

(The main experiment is automatically deriving launchers with acceptable titles and icons given only a path like /mnt/Seagate_10TB/tier3/games though it's also led to things like this blog post on more intutive as-you-type filter behaviour and the decision that "upscale to nearest integer multiple using nearest neighbor scaling, then scale to final size using smooth scaling" is the best compromise when you don't know which icons are pixel art. I do, however, plan to eventually look into more specialized scaling algorithms rather than just "get something that works Well Enough™ that's quick to implement performantly using Python and PyQt".)
            Last edited by ssokolow; 01 April 2022, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

With an extension such as Unite on Gnome or an applet like Pixel Saver on Budgie, which are UI delicacies and proper standard design, the Gnome CSD titlebars become a huge waste of space.
              CSDs are big vertical space eaters on laptops in general.

Plus, you are wrong on the dragging. It happens very often than hitting and holding over a button in the CSD titlebar triggers an action instead of allowing us to drag the window.
              In any case, even if you were right, it´s absolutely counter-intuitive and it´s a natural reaction to find an empty space to perform that action. Hence, it´s a design flaw for anyone with a bit of common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                Evince is one of the most useless app ever.
                It´s not even good enough to read a simple pdf. Not surprised it doesn´t work properly out of the GTK world.
                It´s always been the 1st package I remove on any distro I´ve tested in 16 years. Then you install an actual PDF reader and you forget about Evince entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  Evince is one of the most useless app ever.
                  It´s not even good enough to read a simple pdf. Not surprised it doesn´t work properly out of the GTK world.
                  It´s always been the 1st package I remove on any distro I´ve tested in 16 years. Then you install an actual PDF reader and you forget about Evince entirely.
                  I got used to using a mix of Okular and Evince when I switched from KDE 3.5 to LXDE in response to the premature downstreaming of KDE 4 in defiance of the KDE devs' insistence that 4.0 and versions following were still meant for developer. I mainly use Okular but I've found that there are occasionally files that it either doesn't like or is sluggish on.

What would you propose as an alternative for me to start evaluating? (Bonus points if it's available through Flathub so I don't have to manually trial-and-error my way to a comfortable Firejail profile to sandbox it.)

Comment

Lutris is one of those.

Lutris is open source, so feel free to contribute or fork. Moaning about something as meaningless as the placement of a menu on an app you get so much out of is just being ingrate.

Comment

Working...
                    X