Lutris 0.5.10 Released With Steam Deck Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

GNOME header bar merges titlebar, menubar and toolbar into one thing. It's not just titlebar so comparing it to only titlebar doesn't make any sense. Apple pie is not the same thing as apple despite apple is part of it..
    A bit slow on the uptake, aren't you?
    I'm comparing GTK4 header bars to all bars (titlebar, menubar and toolbar, yes) of non-CSD windows. In other words, where we draw the line before the actual content begins. So it is absolutely apple to apple.
    With Unite and non-CSD windows, I have more space for content (it begins above by comparison to CSD windows if I take Firefox for example. Yup.

Well, if one bug is enough to call something not reliable then many things will become unreliable. It's not supposed to behave this way and in applications I use it's working like it's supposed to do.
    In applications I use it's NOT working like it's supposed to do. Gnome apps included.

If we are talking about CSD then it's not very big choice here. You have CSD or not have. GNOME is not only DE that is not following traditional design. It's also not most modern. But it's probably one of the most non traditional designs. It's also often compared to GNOME 2 which is sometimes described as "last good GNOME". GNOME 2 was pretty traditional design. Same goes for Windows as well. Windows 8 got many bad opinions for Start Menu removal. So, I think conclusions are obvious. What makes me laugh are peoples who believe their opinion is so superior that if somebody denies it then it must be "brainwashed". Just look at this denialism - "If I don't like it then it must be bad and nobody sane would like it". And we are not talking about some small project but one of the biggest and most popular Linux desktops. So many "brainwashed" users.
    It's not non-traditional at all. It mimics MacOS, Compiz (Scale + Expose plugins) and Unity who were way ahead of Gnome for what you call "modern" DEs. And even Windows has had an overview for a long time (2015).
    Gnome devs are good copycats, and that's basically about it. Like the Steve Jobs Apple was, a pale copy of other things back then (in general).
    I used brainwashed because Gnome Yes men always believe they have the single version of the workflow truth, while theirs is usually one of the most limited (usually developers which were the target of Gnome3/40+ design) and I need about 15 extensions to satisfy the diversity of mine. The problem here is the intolerance and close-mindedness of Gnome devs and Gnome cultists. I believe in the multiple versions of the workflow truth, so saying I believe my opinion is superior is just nonsensical as I put every opinion on the same level, and worth having options to satisfy. Unfortunately, not many on the Gnome side have such a broadened perception of things.
    Last edited by Mez'; 13 April 2022, 11:41 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      A bit slow on the uptake, aren't you?
      I'm comparing GTK4 header bars to all bars (titlebar, menubar and toolbar, yes) of non-CSD windows. In other words, where we draw the line before the actual content begins. So it is absolutely apple to apple.
      With Unite and non-CSD windows, I have more space for content (it begins above by comparison to CSD windows if I take Firefox for example. Yup.
      CSD header bar have content. There is no reason to hide it unless you want to hide part of the content. Firefox is good example here - why would I hide tabs?

In applications I use it's NOT working like it's supposed to do. Gnome apps included.
      Well, in application I use it's working fine so we can end this point here.

It's not non-traditional at all. It mimics MacOS, Compiz (Scale + Expose plugins) and Unity who were way ahead of Gnome for what you call "modern" DEs. And even Windows has had an overview for a long time (2015).
      Gnome devs are good copycats, and that's basically about it. Like the Steve Jobs Apple was, a pale copy of other things back then (in general).
      I used brainwashed because Gnome Yes men always believe they have the single version of the workflow truth, while theirs is usually one of the most limited (usually developers which were the target of Gnome3/40+ design) and I need about 15 extensions to satisfy the diversity of mine. The problem here is the intolerance and close-mindedness of Gnome devs and Gnome cultists. I believe in the multiple versions of the workflow truth, so saying I believe my opinion is superior is just nonsensical as I put every opinion on the same level, and worth having options to satisfy. Unfortunately, not many on the Gnome side have such a broadened perception of things.
      [/QUOTE]

Nice wall of text but it's not very accurate. GNOME started using header bars before macOS. Compiz is also not the first project to have similar effects, some of them were inspired by macOS (then Mac OS X) as well. Yeah, Windows have overview since 2015 but GNOME have it since 2011 so still not first here. I also don't know why you keep insisting that I think GNOME is modern when I said it's not most modern Linux DE. It was introduced in 2011, that's 11 years ago. Even if it was modern back then, something that was introduced 11 years ago is hardly modern.

Well, things you mentioned also copied some things. Whole concept of GUI was created by Xerox and copied by Microsoft and Apple. Almost every popular thing have more or less elements copied. It's also not a bad thing because why would be?
      Refusing to accept that somebody don't want your opinions and prefer different things is clearly denialism. You believe in the multiple versions of the workflow and in the same time keep refusing to accept that somebody might prefer GNOME workflow and don't want things you want - yeah, that doesn't play very nice with each other. Accepting multiple versions of workflow truth is also accepting those you don't like and wouldn't use. Clearly you are failing with this one. Linux is supposed to be free OS and freedom is not real freedom if it doesn't accept every view. For example I don't like stacking window managers. Should I call their users "brainwashed cultists" and developers "intolerant" because they don't want to implement real stacking window management? No because I don't need to use them and their users don't need to accept my opinion. It's simple.
      GNOME users don't need to share your opinion about workflow and you don't need either. They don't need to use desktop you prefer and you don't need either. It's not that hard. If you want to call one side "brainwashed" you can also call other side "brainwashed" as well. That's it for me with this topic. No point of continuing this and answering points like "They don't want to implement my ideas, they are so brainwashed!"

Comment

CSD header bar have content. There is no reason to hide it unless you want to hide part of the content. Firefox is good example here - why would I hide tabs?
        I'll leave the last paragraph to you. You are way too close-minded to have that kind of exchange. I didn't even bother ending the read, too many misinterpretations from you.
        Unite (or Pixel Saver on Budgie) doesn't break CSD header bars content. For CSDs, it just pushes the window controls back up in the panel, which is much more pleasing to my eyes than the ugly and amateur (imo) vanilla Gnome theme. It shines with title bars, which you still get on most apps anyway.
        In that context, e.g. Nemo looks more modern and professional than Nautilus these days.

Comment

Working...
        X