Google Finally Announces Steam For Chrome OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Google's extensions to the Linux kernel make ChromeOS the most responsive Linux distro out there. When trying to decide between a Windows Laptop running a *BSD or a custom Google hardware Chromebook running ChromeOS the decision was tough but came down to the Chromebook. The way it makes memory use easy is second to none and is a high security environment too. I love ChromeOS because it remembers everything about me, my credit card number, auto fills in forms, remembers all my passwords for me all in the OS and browser. Lots of enterprises are moving to Chromebooks vs windows laptops and for good reason.
    Nobody knows that chromeos is a linux distro or cares. Businesses use it for the same reason as education: it's a fleet of cheap easy-to-manage thin clients.

Note that neither education nor business will see steam support as attractive. This is them making a half-hearted attempt to get regular users (gamers) to buy an i7 chromebook instead of an i7 windows 10 laptop. That just isn't going to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      Note that neither education nor business will see steam support as attractive. This is them making a half-hearted attempt to get regular users (gamers) to buy an i7 chromebook instead of an i7 windows 10 laptop. That just isn't going to fly.
      this is only half true. some business will certainly find this attractive. as more and more people get into gaming on PC, which has seemingly had a fairly sizeable increase at least among my peers, business can use this as a small thing to help keep employees happy. many employers will buy hardware to suit the needs of the employees, not all but not a few either.

being able to play PC games is just another reason to use windows scratched off the checklist. it won't make a big impact, but the small things add up.

and I do think it will fly, Ill be blunt, for most normal people, most linux distros suck ass. as I said, small things add up, for a normie, I haven't found a single linux distro that many will just sit down and learn to daily for more than 2 weeks. now I can tailor distros to people, but that's not a solution.

chrome OS on the other hand, no idea why, but people generally seem to be able to stick with it far longer than any single linux distro I've seen. and that matters. many people have been wanting to move away from windows for a long time now, and I honestly think chromeOS will be that for many people.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Does Google contribute to anything (WINE, DXVK, Proton) ?
        I mean, Chromium, ANGLE, the kernel, at least half of the most common image and video libraries... Just not Wine yet I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I mean, Chromium, ANGLE, the kernel, at least half of the most common image and video libraries... Just not Wine yet I guess.
          What would Chromium or ANGLE help Linux gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

In fact they fund the Wine-Wayland work done by Collabora.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Nobody knows that chromeos is a linux distro or cares. Businesses use it for the same reason as education: it's a fleet of cheap easy-to-manage thin clients.

As a Microsoft hatter I love that Chromebooks give me the option of buying a coreboot supported Linux laptop. I would never buy a windows i7 because I don't want to support the travesty that is Windows 10 and 11. Fortunately, in the business class nowadays you can buy a ThinkPad or Dell XPS with Ubuntu preinstalled and I am grateful for those options but they are just a little out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Google's extensions to the Linux kernel make ChromeOS the most responsive Linux distro out there. When trying to decide between a Windows Laptop running a *BSD or a custom Google hardware Chromebook running ChromeOS the decision was tough but came down to the Chromebook. The way it makes memory use easy is second to none and is a high security environment too. I love ChromeOS because it remembers everything about me, my credit card number, auto fills in forms, remembers all my passwords for me all in the OS and browser. Lots of enterprises are moving to Chromebooks vs windows laptops and for good reason.
                Yes, I myself see it as a very secure linux implementation.

And for the people who keep complaining about Google ads, just get a PI hole at home.
                Last edited by vb_linux; 17 March 2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Also, the amount of misinformation in this thread is staggering. chrome OS has matured in a really nice OS.

I have Samsung Chromebook with i5 processor and nvme of 256 GB. I have linux crostini VM of 26 GB and it supports vulkan and many applications. So, all Linux applications can be installed. Through parallels I can also install Windows if needed.

Files can connect to my nfs and can write internally. I can powerwash my Chromebook anytime and it is more secure than any Windows or many linux laptop available.

Comment

Working...
                  X