Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Finally Announces Steam For Chrome OS

Phoronix: Google Finally Announces Steam For Chrome OS

It's been expected for many months now, but Google today at their Game Developer Summit keynote formally announced that Valve's Steam gaming client is coming to Chrome OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was stupid before, but it's looking even more stupid that Google had most OEMs provide the minimum storage possible to promote cloud storage.
    What good is a device with 20GB of free space for Steam?

Comment

As far as is know the current supported devices shouldn't have that problem:

* 11th generation core i5 and i7
      * At least 7gb of ram
      * Only select boards (7 in total)

See: https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/new...-requirements/

Comment

Just a few more nails in the coffin for Stadia.
        At least it's cute that they, uh, are naming some Windows emulation layer after it? Does Google even know what Stadia is supposed to be anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
          As far as is know the current supported devices shouldn't have that problem:

* 11th generation core i5 and i7
          * At least 7gb of ram
          * Only select boards (7 in total)

See: https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/new...-requirements/
          That is the dang bad news. No Jasper Lake support. Not everyone can afford an i5 or i7 Ice Lake / Tiger lake based Chromebook. I do have 8GB of RAM in my new model though.

Comment

Is there hope that lower spec machines will be able to use this later? I have a lot of linux supporting indy games that don't demand much from a machine and they would be nice to play on my little N4020.

Comment

Does Google contribute to anything (WINE, DXVK, Proton) ?

Comment

If you have a device good enough to run steam games, why would you cripple it by running chromeos on it?

I suppose it could be beneficial for steam's game streaming though if you've got weaksauce hardware, but mostly this seems kinda pointless, not that there's any harm in it either i suppose.

Comment

How little Google understands the wants and needs of gamers becomes evident when they literally start their keynote talking about diversity in gaming. That is going to be offputting to more folks than it attracts players. Not to mention that there are more pressing topics for Google to address. Stadia anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                    Just a few more nails in the coffin for Stadia.
                    At least it's cute that they, uh, are naming some Windows emulation layer after it? Does Google even know what Stadia is supposed to be anymore?
                    Hopefully there is more to it. Right now Valve's goal involves a compatibility for a competing OS. I can't imagine that's the end goal. With Stadia and ChromeOS Crotini, Google has experience running AAA games and regular desktop apps on a Debian based platform. Perhaps, Valve can use some of that for a cross distro gaming platform? Probably alot of wishful thinking but it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X