Steam Survey Results For February 2022 Put Linux Right Above 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

I find ntfs not fit for purpose, that most games you need to spend more time in the settings panel than actually playing the game - if you can actually get that far after the latest windows windows update breaks graphics or network drivers.

You're definitely doing it wrong. It's really not that hard. Ask someone to help you with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post

Ever heard of First person shooters, and how most people want to play those with mouse and keyboard?
      They tried to let console and pc gamers play together, but the console players lost every time, because the aiming with a mouse is superior and faster then any game pad.
      Ever heard of London Heist?

Simply the best first person shooter available. They tried to make it work with keyboard and mouse, but it just couldn't compete with throwing your joy pad around like a real gun.

See also "beat saber". I almost prefer watching the girls play it as playing it myself.

I get it, windows + keyboard and mouse is what you grew up with. I just have bad news for you, you became the minority, which is very different to Linux starting as a minority.

Originally posted by Takla View Post

You're definitely doing it wrong. It's really not that hard. Ask someone to help you with it.
      I'm not doing windows at all (besides a win 7 VM to build stuff for the stragglers still on windows), I'm not that masochistic. not had windows at all now since I bought a mac mini a few years ago, just supplemented with an M1 macbookbook air, simply the best mobile device I have ever owned (no good for gaming tho, but that's not what I need it for).

Comment

Ever heard of London Heist?

Simply the best first person shooter available
        No. You're wrong. Again. GTA Vice City is the best. But only if played on Windows with keyboard and mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          I don't know what you are talking about. If the premise of being tiresome is having to deal with ceremony on setting up a system/drivers/patching etc etc then a console is as painless as you can get.
          The days of spending hours and multiple reboots installing drivers on Windows died with Windows 7. I use Linux Mint as a desktop OS because it requires the least setup for me - apt-get a few extra programs (two I have to compile from source, but there we are) - and I can go from no-OS to full system in under an hour. My recent install of Windows 11 was pretty similar. From no-OS to grabbing favoured browser, installing Steam and (what I consider) essential programs in under an hour. I manually installed precisely one driver - the nVidia drivers. I have to do the same in Linux.

I've not got a latest XBox or PS5, so can't comment on them, but I had a PS3 brick itself on an update, dodged my PS4 probably bricking itself on an update by deciding I couldn't be bothered that day and turning it off again (then seeing reports the next day of people wailing about their consoles being bricked by the latest firmware update) and had a do a factory reset on an XBox One because an update Black Screen of Deathed it. Three times. I've not owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube.

I'll pay less mind to the fact that downloading a firmware update for my PS4 goes at a snails pace (<200Kbps) while Steam downloads on exactly the same connection can hit 700Mbps (not a typo) without breaking a sweat, because I presume I just have bad luck with timing my updates from Sony's servers.

I miss my PS2.

I find ntfs not fit for purpose, that most games you need to spend more time in the settings panel than actually playing the game - if you can actually get that far after the latest windows windows update breaks graphics or network drivers.

Blunty, ipad, ios and android gaming is better than windows these days, and they are not even purposely designed for the task.

Im sure you are old enough now to buy your own console (or you wouldnt still be gaming on windows) rather than beg your parent or guardian to buy it for you or let you play on it. Own that.
          I'm sure you're old enough to realise how condescending and arrogant you sound here - particularly in your last comment.

I've had issues with Windows, sure - I have particularly poor memories of Windows 10 1803 which caused me NIC woes at bootup until 1811 arrived - but I've also had issues with Linux. I update drivers on Windows when I have to - that being either a) security issue fixed or b) compatibility issue fixed. I don't go installing every beta release pushed out so rarely encounter issues worth talking about that aren't directly related to hardware itself (see: Asus G513Y Advantage Edition random reboots).

If you spent more time in the settings than playing, I'd suggest you have your priorities wrong. And if you think tablets are better gaming devices, you obviously play the sorts of games which are designed for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

I'm sure you're old enough to realise how condescending and arrogant you sound here - particularly in your last comment.
            I'm generally condescending to people who promote gaming on windows over the alternatives, because as far as I can see there is only two reasons to game on windows.

Windows is great for pirates and cheaters.

And being a windows gamer generally suggests to me you are one or both, because otherwise you would go out of your way not to play in the same sandpit as them.

Comment

edit: Forget it, it's not worth discussing further with you.

edit2: OK, you obviously saw and quoted before I edited, so I'll put the post back as was.

I'm generally condescending to people who promote gaming on windows over the alternatives, because as far as I can see there is only two reasons to game on windows.

And being a windows gamer generally suggests to me you are one or both, because otherwise you would go out of your way not to play in the same sandpit as them.
              Not everyone is interested in online games; me included.

And I'm sure the millions of PC gamers like me who aren't pirates or cheaters, and want to play games that aren't on consoles greatly appreciate you being a bigot and libeling them all.
              Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 08 March 2022, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                Not everyone is interested in online games; me included.

And I'm sure the millions of PC gamers like me who aren't pirates or cheaters, and want to play games that aren't on consoles greatly appreciate you being a bigot and libeling them all.
                120 million steam users (basically everyone with a PC capable of gaming)
                Of 1 billion or so gamers.

There hasnt been a big windows only game now for 15 years or more.

"keyboard and mouse" isnt a reason to use windows if you are playing offline, definately not a good enough reason to play online with people who probably pirated the game and almost certainly have cheats installed.

A defensive "Not me" doesnt gain you any respect tbh, at best you are to naive to understand that (like xbox one) is the main reason people still game on windows rather than cheaper, superior consoles that have completely locked them out.

Comment

There are still games that don't run well or don't run at all on Linux. Some examples:
                  • World Of Tanks. Running with WINE on my 10 yr. old machine, it has pretty poor frame rates while it runs at a solid 70 fps on Windows. I know it works better for others, my brother has no issues on his machine. Perhaps future Mesa or driver updates will make a difference, but for now it is still something I boot into Windows for.
                  • War Thunder. Used to demand a proprietary graphics driver not older than 6 months under WINE. Not gonna happen for one game. I'm on AMD, the Open Source driver is working fine and I don't want to go back to the prop. driver. Right now I'm trying again under Proton, but WT does just hang.
                  • EAC protected games in general: Windows-only versions generally refuse to run under WINE, because they "recognize" the environment as manipulated. There is now EAC support for WINE/Proton, but the developers have to actively include it.
                  I check from time to time, and the percentage of my Steam Library that works fine on Linux is growing. But we are not quite at the point where I'm willing to wipe Windows off my system.
                  Last edited by Rabiator; 12 March 2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
                    There are still games that don't run well or don't run at all on Linux. Some examples:
                    There are many, many more (and of higher quality) that only run on Playstation or Switch. Mostly because Windows is great for pirates and cheaters, so it doesn't get any exclusive titles any more (except from Microsoft, but good grief they have low standards).

World of Tanks:
                    https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...60971101071150

War Thunder
                    https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...73548409910606

So still not a good reason to play in the same sandpit as pirates and cheaters.

Comment

There are many, many more (and of higher quality) that only run on Playstation or Switch. Mostly because Windows is great for pirates and cheaters, so it doesn't get any exclusive titles any more (except from Microsoft, but good grief they have low standards).
                      So still not a good reason to play in the same sandpit as pirates and cheaters.
                      OK, lets check. I took a look around the Playstation store, and there is more available than I expected. So far so good. Some games I like and already bought (mostly over Steam) are PC only though.

I'm not sure about the controller vs. keyboard/mouse thing, I would have to try some games on the console to see what works better.

And finally, I play quite a bit of single player/offline games. Cheaters are irrelevant there. If I pirate stuff it is between me and my own conscience. If others pirate theirs, I don't consider myself responsible.

Comment

Working...
                      X