Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    @deanjo:
    The drama IS with the official 64-bit java plugin of Sun. I don't use icedtea at all. If I need to visit a java based website I need to use Konqueror since it uses directly the java binary not requiring any plugin. This though is a Konqueror unique so other browsers require the plugin and this plugin is still not working on a 64-bit machine. I tested it on entire 3 machines with Gentoo and Kubuntu without any luck. And since majority of people on the internet experience the same problems I'm confident it's not some spurious software incompatibility.
    Well... after being made aware of your situation, and deanjos recommendation, i figured i'd like to give you some log from #phoronix on freenode..

.... deanjo makes comments about gentoo and sun java ....
    <Deanjo> and btw, it's not only suse that it works on. It's pretty much anything BUT gentoo
    <redeeman> Deanjo: are you telling me that on gentoo, the 64bit plugin does not work?
    <redeeman> on which java version?
    <Deanjo> on the official 64-bit 1.6 plugin
    <redeeman> which i get in which java version?
    <Deanjo> Java 6 Update 3
    <redeeman> it does not appear to be in the jdk 1.6.0.13
    <redeeman> ah
    <redeeman> i installed without nsplugin
    <redeeman> let me redo
    <Deanjo> no nsplugin needed
    <Deanjo> native 64-bit
    <redeeman> yes, aka netscape plugin?
    <redeeman> im not talking about wrapper here :P
    <Deanjo> ya the netscape one.
    <redeeman> that's an optional useflag on gentoo
    <redeeman> which i am getting now
    <redeeman> ahh, now it shows up in eselect
    <Deanjo> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=33
    <redeeman> it works fine for me, Deanjo
    <redeeman> i just switched to it
    <Deanjo> might want to make a howto for dragonlord then lol
    <Deanjo> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=16779&page=4
    <redeeman> all i did was enable nsplugin on the package, thereby having the actual plugin installed, and then run: eselect java-nsplugin set 64bit sun-jdk-1.6
    <redeeman> and then fire up a firefox
    <redeeman> then run aboutlugins to ensure its correct
    <redeeman> and then test a java applet-containing site
    <redeeman> and voila
    <Deanjo> Ya, kinda figured it was a PEBKAC issue
    <redeeman> you see, gentoo is nothing magic, one way or the other, it contains the same packages, typically with a few patches (which they get from fedora/upstream, or make themselves, and push upstream), and in the case of something like java, obviously its the exact same binaries as other distributions enjoy, and as such, it behaves pretty much the same
    <redeeman> there have however been, ~1.5-2 years ago, some minor issues with java for people that enabled libxcb in libx11
    <redeeman> which ofcourse gentoo couldnt fix as it didn't build the binaries
    <Deanjo> Ya I know, according to dragonlord though alot of people are having issues getting it going in gentoo.
    <redeeman> well...
    <Deanjo> You might want to post how you did it so Dargonlord can stop implying everybody is bullshitting him

Comment

This is all nice and well but I knew this already. I'm not stupid. I use GenToo since a long time especially in business servers. And yes, I did "exactly" like this but it doesn't work, on all machines I have GenToo on. Not the first time something doesn't work which they put on stable. You don't want to know how often they break stable thing and have no clue why. That's the way it is :P

EDIT: Just to make it a bit more clear: eselect knows, but not firefox or others:
      # eselect java-nsplugin list
      Available 32-bit Java browser plugins
      Available 64-bit Java browser plugins
      [1] sun-jdk-1.6 current
      Listed in eselect but not working. That's the deal.

EDIT: EDIT: For more clarification:
      about: plugins
      Shockwave Flash
      ....File name: libflashplayer.so
      NPAPI Plugins Wrapper 1.0.0
      ....File name: npwrapper.so
      OpenOffice.org Plug-in
      ....File name: libnpsoplugin.so
      And the wrapper is only active on this machine not the others I tested with ( has to do with some web-dev stuff I have to deal with at the time being so it's temporary ).

And this is what not only I get hence my comment. Nice if it works for people but it is not stable yet, sorry about that.
      Last edited by Dragonlord; 16 May 2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

i deem this thread the legendary phoronix hijack

Comment

Yea, mods or anyone that can, could you please rename the thread subject to "jdk fanship discussion" or something similar?

Comment

@Dragonlord:
            What does ls -l /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins/ say?
            If there's no symlink to /opt/foo/bar.so (don't know the exact directory anymore, something with sun in it... switched to IcedTea a while ago) you might as well create it yourself.

Comment

ls -l /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins
              total 0
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 59 2009-05-17 00:25 javaplugin.so -> /usr/share/java-config-2/nsplugin/sun-jdk-1.6-javaplugin.so
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2009-03-14 19:03 libflashplayer.so -> /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 2008-10-04 18:26 npwrapper.so -> /usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/x86_64/linux/npwrapper.so
              As you can see, the lib is there but it is utterly malfunctioning. With other words: NOT WORKING. Which is what I say all the time and all the other people which those GenToo slackers label now "morons" or "liars". This is one of the problem with GenToo board in general. They tend to think they own the fucking place and ignoring errors makes those going fucking vanish into oblivion! Guess what, reality is NOT like this. Trying to ignore errors is fucking M$ mentality and has nothing lost in the free software realm.

Most important hacker rule: "It's not important what works but what DOESN'T since this improves software"

Comment

Well. nobody here is calling you a liar and reading your other posts here on the board it's pretty obvious you're no moron. Just trying to help. :P
                How about filing a bug on bugs.gentoo.org? A quick search for "java plugin" didn't bring up any issues that sounded similiar to yours.
                I'm sure it will be accepted when you provide enough information (eg eselect java-nsplugin list, ls -l /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugin/ and of course emerge --info). Maybe the maintainers just aren't fully aware of this problem, or can't be sure it's not just a configuration-issue.

Comment

Not really. I had already deleted or simply "don't care" assigned bugs. Unless that system there changes I'm not going to touch that bug tracker again. Besides it's not important for me. I use Java usually only standalone and next to never applets. And if so I use Konqueror waiting until they fix this on their own ( upstream ). I know others are more pissed by this situation but unless something happens inside the GenToo administration things won't work faster. Just minding my own business fixing what I can fix right now. That helps more than wasting time getting kicked on the bug tracker.

Comment

Why don't you uninstall the plugin wrapper? It is useless anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Why don't you uninstall the plugin wrapper? It is useless anyway.
                      If you would have read my post instead of quick-shotting this one here you would know <.=.<

Comment

Working...
                      X