Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    But java is slow, and , all around crap. I think its only used in mobile phone games.
    check out jake2

benchmarks (prolly a bit bias), show only a minor speed reduction.

Its prolly been improved upon quite a bit over the original Q2 source.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      ( I just say Java 64-bit drama ).
      Stop using icedtea and start using Suns official 64-bit plug-in. No more drama.

Comment

@deanjo:
        The drama IS with the official 64-bit java plugin of Sun. I don't use icedtea at all. If I need to visit a java based website I need to use Konqueror since it uses directly the java binary not requiring any plugin. This though is a Konqueror unique so other browsers require the plugin and this plugin is still not working on a 64-bit machine. I tested it on entire 3 machines with Gentoo and Kubuntu without any luck. And since majority of people on the internet experience the same problems I'm confident it's not some spurious software incompatibility.

@L33F3R:
        Careful comparing/benching Java. It has JIT which falsifies the results. Pure java is slow. JITed Java can be very fast ( what a miracle if it's native compiled ).

Comment

@deanjo:
          The drama IS with the official 64-bit java plugin of Sun. I don't use icedtea at all. If I need to visit a java based website I need to use Konqueror since it uses directly the java binary not requiring any plugin. This though is a Konqueror unique so other browsers require the plugin and this plugin is still not working on a 64-bit machine. I tested it on entire 3 machines with Gentoo and Kubuntu without any luck. And since majority of people on the internet experience the same problems I'm confident it's not some spurious software incompatibility.
          Having a bit of hard time understanding that. So are you saying the problems are Konq specific? I have the sun plugin working perfectly fine in ff and opera and openSUSE users don't seem to have a problem with it. Do you have any examples of sites where the plug-in doesn't work (as compared to the 32-bit plugin).

Edit: OK I get what your saying about konq. Still I cannot share your issues with the 64-bit plugin. Please post some site links where it is not working for you.
          Last edited by deanjo; 06 May 2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Opera uses Java directly too instead of the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Opera uses Java directly too instead of the plugin.
              Ya, I realize that. Just saying I haven't ran into issues with my mainly used browsers in 64-bit since the java release containing the 64-bit plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                But java is slow, and , all around crap. I think its only used in mobile phone games.
                Have you tried Tribal Trouble or Bang! Howdy? I suggest you see what box you need to draw around things before calling it "crap". Moreover, you can use it to make nicer multiplatform games, if done right, than with things like GameEditor.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Having a bit of hard time understanding that. So are you saying the problems are Konq specific? I have the sun plugin working perfectly fine in ff and opera and openSUSE users don't seem to have a problem with it. Do you have any examples of sites where the plug-in doesn't work (as compared to the 32-bit plugin).

Edit: OK I get what your saying about konq. Still I cannot share your issues with the 64-bit plugin. Please post some site links where it is not working for you.
                  Any website having a Java applet. The plugin doesn't show up in firefox at all since it fails to load. So you get this nice little gray square telling you that Sun sucks.

Comment

Any website having a Java applet. The plugin doesn't show up in firefox at all since it fails to load. So you get this nice little gray square telling you that Sun sucks.
                    Like I said it all works fine here, sounds more like a distro / packaging issue more then anything else. Can't blame sun for piss poor distro packaging.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 06 May 2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Then a heck lot of people would be "morons" which I doubt. Are you sure you run "real" 64-bit and not through a 32-bit layer or using the multi-lib abstraction? Since these are pulled in automatically if you have an 32-bit Java plugin.

Comment

Working...
                      X