Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    yes yes i know. but u basically got the plugin idea. so if its a browser plugin that works with firefox why is activex a big issue?
    Active-X is a plugin architecture but in the end it's nothing else but a plugin for a browser, aka IE in this case. The main problem is to have a plugin in the first place. It doesn't matter if it's Active-X or NSPlugin or whatever. The problem is that plugins in general for Windows are not compatible with Linux and Linux only Firefox and Mozilla really use the NSPlugin architecture. And even this architecture is ground for many problems since it's more hacked together than working ( I just say Java 64-bit drama ). So using a plugin in a browser alone is a trouble-maker for getting on Linux.

Comment

Then buy Q3A if you don't trust the plugin concept.

Comment

This is not about trust leilei. Please read correctly before attacking people out of the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          So using a plugin in a browser alone is a trouble-maker for getting on Linux.
          Also I see absolutely no point in running a game in a webbrowser if it still needs a plugin to be downloaded and installed. I thought the nice thing about browser-games was supposed to be their ability to be played anywhere, on any pc, with any os, as long as it's got a webbrowser.
          Might just as well make it a stand-alone binary then.

Comment

This is not about trust leilei. Please read correctly before attacking people out of the blue.
            You'll get used to out of the blue attacks from leilei. Trust me.

Comment

Pardon, but isn't it possible for Java to have hardware-accelerated OpenGL?

I've seen 3d engines written in Java around; but maybe there's a difference in running as an applet in a browser vs on the full java stack?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Pardon, but isn't it possible for Java to have hardware-accelerated OpenGL?

I've seen 3d engines written in Java around; but maybe there's a difference in running as an applet in a browser vs on the full java stack?
                But java is slow, and , all around crap. I think its only used in mobile phone games.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                  You'll get used to out of the blue attacks from leilei. Trust me.
                  Don't worry. I know leilei ( aka CheapAlert ) from ModDB ( since v1 even if I did not have an active account yet back then ) since a long time. He's random at times so you need to point it out

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    But java is slow, and , all around crap. I think its only used in mobile phone games.
                    Mobile games is another story. At a IGDA Chapter meeting we had once a talk of somebody active in the mobile phone game/app creation and he explained well where the fuck is in all this. Java is only one solution there and not even as standardized as one wishes for. Jet though it's one of the better solutions ( like more less standard as the rest :P ).

Comment

Active-X is a plugin architecture but in the end it's nothing else but a plugin for a browser, aka IE in this case. The main problem is to have a plugin in the first place. It doesn't matter if it's Active-X or NSPlugin or whatever. The problem is that plugins in general for Windows are not compatible with Linux and Linux only Firefox and Mozilla really use the NSPlugin architecture. And even this architecture is ground for many problems since it's more hacked together than working ( I just say Java 64-bit drama ). So using a plugin in a browser alone is a trouble-maker for getting on Linux.
                      that just about educated me.
                      thx a bunch

Comment

Working...
                      X