Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Theyre starting to sound like 3DR with their on-going DNF myth/joke.
    Seriously that statement right there is idiotic you can't compare waiting to 2 months for a linux version (of a game that's still in BETA!) to waiting over 10 years.

Their past releases of older games' linux binaries doesnt mean anything now.
    So we only remember companies bad behaviour and not the good? Seriously? A companies history should be consider because it often is a good representation (Atari and The Witcher anyone?) of what will happen, EPIC is an exception with the linux version but considering the why they've being going with regards to PC gaming in general its not all that surprising. So just because one company skipped on a linux client doesn't mean you should get piss over a small wait with the next one.
    They've been saying that same thing for months now. "It's our top priority." Well, as someone in the QL boards pointed out, 1 single programmer working on both the mac and the linux clients is not a "top priority". Why can't they just be honest and say "Linux is just an afterthought, which we'll look into when/if we get time after releasing the final windows version"
    Out of curiosity how do you know it's just one programmer handling the port and not several? References appreciated. Admittedly though I wouldn't surprised if it was just TTimo.

Oh and just to put things in perspective the longest we've had to wait for linux binaries from iD is 3 months I believe for Doom 3 whereas I believe the Mac port of their games take 6 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I don't think saying basically "shit or get off the pot" is being to harsh no matter who the dev is and despite their past history. There are no guarantees that a platform will be supported even when intentions are specified.
      thats all fine and dandy and as i recall i did say that caution is well placed. If you haven't noticed they haven't promised a Linux client at point release. On the quake live website it states:

Windows XP
      Windows Vista

Firefox 2.0 / 3.0
      Internet Explorer 7 / 8

Support for Mac & Linux, along with alternative browsers is under development.
      If you ask me, simply being under development when the game is not even done is quite an accomplishment. They are proceeding very quickly for the mac/linux scene.

Its hard to compare the stall of Epic to the progressiveness of ID when it comes to mac and linux. "shit or get off the pot" is a good statement for Epic. If you can present some evidence that ID is going to flop on QLive then please present it. All that seems to have hit me in the head so far is that good chances are mac/linux support will come shortly after the release (a few months). I see no reason to flame a company that has not broken any promises.

Maybe it wont come out. Who knows. But I personally will judge the character of a company on its past results over its rumors and skeptics. I am not a stock broker and don't intend to play one.

Comment

I see it more of a technical problem. Linux doesn't have this "Active-X" browser crap stuff. They need to bind somehow this to a game engine able to pull some decent graphics off so they need to link out into a library. This is though not so easy on Linux as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          I see it more of a technical problem. Linux doesn't have this "Active-X" browser crap stuff. They need to bind somehow this to a game engine able to pull some decent graphics off so they need to link out into a library. This is though not so easy on Linux as it sounds.
          But quake live runs on firefox too, and firefox doesnt use the Active-X crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            im going to go off on a limb with this 1 because i dont know much about mac but.... Unity3D (which might i say is a dead sexy piece of software) runs on mac and windows through the unity plugin. Perhaps they do something similar for quake live? I myself have not even bothered to try the beta yet unfortunately. Again I have no idea how ID is going to implement something like this.

Comment

QuakeLive uses its own browser plugin. It's not flash, unity, or through ActiveX.

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
                QuakeLive uses its own browser plugin. It's not flash, unity, or through ActiveX.
                There might be an Active-X plugin (it does work through IE, after all...), but there's also a Firefox plugin that seems to be packaged with an installer .msi for the plugin for the game. This translates into an installer of some sort that'd be for Firefox and anything that supports Firefox plugins on Linux.

If you're wondering, I tried to fire it up on my XP reference setup just now. I'm interested in seeing the Linux version on my machines.

To be sure, what I've seen is not proof they'll carry through, but...

(Speaking of Carrying Through... If you wanted Caster for Linux, your wait isn't much longer. )

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  Again I have no idea how ID is going to implement something like this.
                  It's a plugin-ized version of the Q3:Arena engine- and it has nothing to do with Unity3D, which is a competing game engine product.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    It's a plugin-ized version of the Q3:Arena engine- and it has nothing to do with Unity3D, which is a competing game engine product.
                    yes yes i know. but u basically got the plugin idea. so if its a browser plugin that works with firefox why is activex a big issue?

Comment

ActiveX is one big wormhole... Hmm it seems that mozilla activex has not been updated since 2005:

Some windows program through wine needs that, can't remember which.

Editops I didnt read first post of the thread...
                      Last edited by tuke81; 05 May 2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X