Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKD3D 1.3 Being Prepared For Release

Phoronix: VKD3D 1.3 Being Prepared For Release

While the VKD3D-Proton downstream gets much of the spotlight these days for the Direct3D 12 API implemented atop Vulkan for use by Valve's Steam Play (Proton), Wine's VKD3D continues to be developed and is closing in on its v1.3 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the features I would like is DirectML. needed for a few compute programs that would be really nice to have

Comment

So HLSL shader compiler will be finally ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        One of the features I would like is DirectML. needed for a few compute programs that would be really nice to have
        Out of curiosity, which ones?

Test benches of DirectML I've seen have been disappointing, but I don't actually know of any user-facing apps that need it.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Out of curiosity, which ones?

Test benches of DirectML I've seen have been disappointing, but I don't actually know of any user-facing apps that need it.
          Off the top of my head, would be topaz labs VEAI. but thats all I can think of atm lol. but its a good one imo

Comment

Is there any effort to upstreaming the work in VKD3D-Proton (similar how to many Proton changes get upstreamed into Wine) or are they pretty much fully separate libraries at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Off the top of my head, would be topaz labs VEAI. but thats all I can think of atm lol. but its a good one imo
              Oh yeah, I forgot about the Topaz stuff. IIRC the project its derived from, SRGAN, was based around CUDA/pytorch, and some of the other active derivatives (see this, this, and this) use ncnn/vulkan backends. I think you'd be better off using those kinda projects on linux, especially if you have a Nvidia GPU.

Open-source upscaling that actually uses adjacent frames is a bit behind VEAI, last time I checked. You don't necessarily want that though, as sometimes its better to leave the inter frame processing to less janky traditional filters.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 02 March 2022, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
                Is there any effort to upstreaming the work in VKD3D-Proton (similar how to many Proton changes get upstreamed into Wine) or are they pretty much fully separate libraries at this point?
                lots of work gets upstreamed. but since people don't understand the difference between the two ill explain it. Wine is used in commercial and enterprise (like crossover) software . this means they have stability obligations to keep. even on staging branch. You can think of "wine-staging (vkd3d included)" as a testing branch, and vkd3d-proton as a rolling release branch. but even without obligations, the end goal is still accuracy.

there is another distinction, vkd3d-proton houses a bunch of hacks that will never get accepted upstream that greatly help gaming performance. but can hurt conformance. which means this would actively be a bad think for wine to upstream. (as their goal is conformance) (Think of android emulation or early dolphin emulation where their are Emu and EMU-MMJ)

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Topaz stuff. IIRC the project its derived from, SRGAN, was based around CUDA/pytorch, and some of the other active derivatives (see this, this, and this) use ncnn/vulkan backends. I think you'd be better off using those kinda projects on linux, especially if you have a Nvidia GPU.

Open-source upscaling that actually uses adjacent frames is a bit behind VEAI, last time I checked. You don't necessarily want that though, as sometimes its better to leave the inter frame processing to less janky traditional filters.
                VEAI is actually pretty darn good. it all has it's uses (mainly for AMD LOL) but it also has somethings it beats out on, somethings it looses on. with AI upscaling there is no "best answer" just "this one worked the best for this input"

but there are other examples but none that I remember, so maybe not good ones

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
                  I was wondering that myself. I thought everything was open source and upstreaming was just a matter of timing. So that Valve would develop something and put it into Proton immediately, and regular Wine would incorporate it a few weeks or months later.

Can some knowledgeable poster let us know how the development of Proton and Wine are integrated or not integrated? I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

I was wondering that myself. I thought everything was open source and upstreaming was just a matter of timing. So that Valve would develop something and put it into Proton immediately, and regular Wine would incorporate it a few weeks or months later.

Can some knowledgeable poster let us know how the development of Proton and Wine are integrated or not integrated? I'm confused.
                    see my reply above

Comment

Working...
                    X