VKD3D 1.3 Being Prepared For Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

lots of work gets upstreamed. but since people don't understand the difference between the two ill explain it. Wine is used in commercial and enterprise (like crossover) software . this means they have stability obligations to keep. even on staging branch. You can think of "wine-staging (vkd3d included)" as a testing branch, and vkd3d-proton as a rolling release branch. but even without obligations, the end goal is still accuracy.

there is another distinction, vkd3d-proton houses a bunch of hacks that will never get accepted upstream that greatly help gaming performance. but can hurt conformance. which means this would actively be a bad think for wine to upstream. (as their goal is conformance) (Think of android emulation or early dolphin emulation where their are Emu and EMU-MMJ)

VEAI is actually pretty darn good. it all has it's uses (mainly for AMD LOL) but it also has somethings it beats out on, somethings it looses on. with AI upscaling there is no "best answer" just "this one worked the best for this input"

but there are other examples but none that I remember, so maybe not good ones
    This is all just flat out wrong. Basically none of vkd3d-proton is upstreamed ever and saying that "it's just a bunch of hacks" is pretty infuriating as it's simply not true.
    It's an actual implementation of D3D12 on top of Vulkan using the latest features, any 'hacks'/per-game profiles that exist are there simply to work around genuine game bugs... y'know like actual drivers do.

If you are going to write 2 paragraphs trying to explain something, at least get it fucking right.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

This is all just flat out wrong. Basically none of vkd3d-proton is upstreamed ever and saying that "it's just a bunch of hacks" is pretty infuriating as it's simply not true.
      It's an actual implementation of D3D12 on top of Vulkan using the latest features, any 'hacks'/per-game profiles that exist are there simply to work around genuine game bugs... y'know like actual drivers do.

If you are going to write 2 paragraphs trying to explain something, at least get it fucking right.
      You have my sincere apologies.

I didn't mean to say that the code itself gets contributed upstream. but that there are a small number upstream commits are based on code from vkd3d-proton and that some devs who work on vkd3d-proton also occasionally contribute upstream. I also recall seeing other commits similar to what get merged in vkd3d-proton, but I supposed I was mistaken and was correlating two separate things. If I am wrong about the scale of cooperation I will gladly correct what I said. the combination the three made the impression that there was closer workings then there actually is and is what I meant by "work gets up streamed".

I didn't mean to imply that game specific fixes are a bad thing. Mesa does game specific fixes, and looking at change logs it's evident that AMD and Nvidia do as well for their windows counterparts. working around game bugs is a critical part of the job, If hacks aren't the right term for it I am not sure what the correct term would be. for me a hack has always been a specific change in the general program to do something else. I don't think that making a game work should be on the driver devs. to my group of peers, game specific changes, Kernel quirks, etc. would all be "hacks" designed to make up for the shortcomings of something else.

I also meant game related... changes that for instance, may reduce performance in more specialized applications. or apps that are broken that they don't benefit from fixing but upstream does. I don't necessarily mean d3d12 "compute" would be off the table. (DirectML for instance is something that could vkd3d-proton could supposedly benefit from though i don't know of any games that uses it but MS does advertise it). things like VEAI, I wouldn't try to use proton for, but rather upstream is what I meant.

again, you have my apologies, if you can elaborate on the corrections to be made I will gladly edit my post to reflect them, if not ill just point towards your comment.

Comment

Working...
      X