Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

see my reply above
    Thank you Quackdoc. That was very informative. I had no idea that there were quirks in Proton that deprecate conformity. I see that things are much more complicated than I realized.
    Last edited by muncrief; 02 March 2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Thank you Quackdoc. That was very informative. I had no idea that there were quirks in Proton that deprecate conformity. I see that things are much more complicated than I realized.
      same situation with dxvk. everyone complains about wanting dxvk to be upstream wine d3d implementation, but both dxvk devs and wine devs say that it will never happen, because dxvk makes compromises that wine cannot accept for technical reasons.

Comment

same situation with dxvk. everyone complains about wanting dxvk to be upstream wine d3d implementation, but both dxvk devs and wine devs say that it will never happen, because dxvk makes compromises that wine cannot accept for technical reasons.
        Perhaps there should be 2 separate "modes" under the same project? Or are Proton's/dxvk's hacks too spicy to even exist in the Wine codebase?

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Perhaps there should be 2 separate "modes" under the same project? Or are Proton's/dxvk's hacks too spicy to even exist in the Wine codebase?
          not really, while dxvk/proton have similar trajections, but they don't exactly align, keeping them separate projects IMO would be for the best. keeping them separate distinct things give's a degree of freedom to dxvk that might otherwise not be possible.

don't forget that DXVK is laser focused on a single thing. I think it's best for DXVK to remain independent, IMO dxvk has likely been able to flourish so much because it is it's own thing

Comment

Off the top of my head, would be topaz labs VEAI. but thats all I can think of atm lol. but its a good one imo
            Wow that software is amazing!
            Is there a native equivalent or a FOSS one?
            I use a bunch of shaders with mpv, but it doesn't seem like they come close to this.
            I also have some pictures/videos I took with a bad camera that I'd very much like to improve as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I use a bunch of shaders with mpv, but it doesn't seem like they come close to this.
              I also have some pictures/videos I took with a bad camera that I'd very much like to improve as much as possible.
              give ESRGAN a try, there are a few varients to choose from, I think right now the popular one is real-esrgan

Comment

Yeah, see the links I posted above:

(see this, this, and this)
                As well as the gameupscale discord

FSRCNNX and Anime4K in MPV are very good for real time scalers though. The ones linked above are much slower.

Comment

give ESRGAN a try, there are a few varients to choose from, I think right now the popular one is real-esrgan

Alright, I think I saw it mentioned before and will look into that.

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Yeah, see the links I posted above:

As well as the gameupscale discord

FSRCNNX and Anime4K in MPV are very good for real time scalers though. The ones linked above are much slower.
                  I use both of these already in mpv, though I barely see any difference with FSRCNNX, not sure if it's worth it? Anime4K is awesome, but it'd be too much for non anime stuff...

I'll take a look at the discord. As for the 3 options above, hmmm are they to be used together or am I misunderstanding that?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Think of it like this: A formula1 racing team uses new experimental technology - experimental turbos, NOS, suspension, engines revving at 15K rpm and whatever.. to win a race. Many of these "new experimental technologies" make their way back to the factory PRODUCTION cars eventually... But only after all the rigorous testing needed for a production car released for the average population.

They DO share their "codebase", and you can say the F1 factory racing teams contribute upstream patches... but you will only get it on the latest production car after it has been through a lot of tests, and sometimes this means it will NEVER see the light of day (Be it maintenance or safety issues)

Sometimes a 1-line "hack" in wine-proton that gets a game working requires huge changes to upstream wine to get released.

Comment

Alright, I think I saw it mentioned before and will look into that.

I use both of these already in mpv, though I barely see any difference with FSRCNNX, not sure if it's worth it? Anime4K is awesome, but it'd be too much for non anime stuff...

I'll take a look at the discord. As for the 3 options above, hmmm are they to be used together or am I misunderstanding that?

Thanks guys!
                      Nah, 2 of the links are standalone GUI apps, the other is a database of ESRGAN models that do different things, which they are designed to work with.

Personally I use VapourSynth to manipulate videos with esrgan and other NNs, but its not quite so straightforward.

Comment

Working...
                      X