Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ntropy
    replied
    My SD is just awesome. I have gamed on Linux before for many years and it was already awesome but the deck now makes it a no-brainer. That XWayland window manager is awesome and makes it feel like a console. Not too much windows popping up or launchers while loading a game, it's like all the games were made for this. Got me a 65 W power pack and basically never use the decks battery. The option integrated for power management, like setting the TDP, GPU freq or FSR are easy to use and with the new power profiles, it keeps ur settings individually throughout different games. Gaming Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment, with medium settings on, I dunno 960 x 572 at 15 Watts and 30 fps and it still looks awesome since the smaller display has a high DPI value and makes the stuff look sharp. I even like the graphics more than on my PC monitor, normal maps on textures look better with a high dpi count and reflections and light comes off more realistic.

I normally like to tinker on tux but its just cool to have a device for once, you switch on and play. You can even hibernate your gaming session at any given time and then resume a week later, just where you left. The hibernation is so good, I even did it on loading screens and you dont have to worry it just works.

Leave a comment:

• brucethemoose
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

They also got steam deck + yuzu emu and vulkan working too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmmmZwk01CY
    Yeah. RPSC3 is really the most questionable one for the deck, as its by far the most hardware intense.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

And that's just flatpak. Given the results of this post (assuming it was compiled/tested with Clear's default flags):

https://twitter.com/rpcs3/status/1480577523562033156

You can probably squeeze even more RPSC3 out of the deck with a native/optimized AUR build and system libs from ALHP or Cachy.
    They also got steam deck + yuzu emu and vulkan working too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmmmZwk01CY

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    63% sRGB can't just be poor calibration. Also, the viewing angles are reportedly very narrow... the screen sucks, plain and simple. It was a compromise to get down to $400.
    Ok, rockpapershotgun confirmed LTT values. Wow, that's just garbage. My 200€ notebook scores 97%...

Leave a comment:

• brucethemoose
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
    ps3 emulation working on steam deck.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxVO_eUgEY
    And that's just flatpak. Given the results of this post (assuming it was compiled/tested with Clear's default flags):

https://twitter.com/rpcs3/status/1480577523562033156

You can probably squeeze even more RPSC3 out of the deck with a native/optimized AUR build and system libs from ALHP or Cachy.
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 27 February 2022, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tehehe
    replied
    Originally posted by neoe View Post
    Yes, smart phone are ruined by Google's Android. This device is absolutely on right direction.
    And Linux is already ready for gaming. I only switch to Windows when some VR device not ye supported by Linux.
    Buy Google Pixel 6 and run GrapheneOS on it. Fully open source (you can compile it yourself). Runs android apps and zero bloatware, google or not, by default. Fully locked bootloader so you won't lose any security. It's great. Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    ps3 emulation working on steam deck.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxVO_eUgEY

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied

63% sRGB can't just be poor calibration. Also, the viewing angles are reportedly very narrow... the screen sucks, plain and simple. It was a compromise to get down to $400.

Lack of VRR is a huge loss too.

As for gamescope... I read this from a presentation?

> "Aligns the game to output vblank and presents newest content available at
    the tightest possible deadline before vblank, no getting ahead"

And testing from YouTubers (like The Phawx) suggest that input latency is very good with gamescope's 30 fps lock, so maybe it is more than a dumb timer? Perhaps its like mpv's display-resample feature, where it very gently aligns itself to the VSync interval?
    gamescope framerate control are being re-worked right now I believe

Leave a comment:

• brucethemoose
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I wonder if the display is really that bad or if it would accomplish acceptable rec709 reproduction after calibration (3D LUT via vkbasalt). But it's also said to be not very bright and contrast probably will be even worse with proper 6500k white point (when it's not close to it by default)...

Does GameScope's 30fps limit take vblank interval into consideration, or is it just a synthetic timer that causes intermittent stutter with vsync (no VRR *sigh*)?

Lack of VRR is a huge loss too.

As for gamescope... I read this from a presentation?

> "Aligns the game to output vblank and presents newest content available at
    the tightest possible deadline before vblank, no getting ahead"

And testing from YouTubers (like The Phawx) suggest that input latency is very good with gamescope's 30 fps lock, so maybe it is more than a dumb timer? Perhaps its like mpv's display-resample feature, where it very gently aligns itself to the VSync interval?

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    I wonder if the display is really that bad or if it would accomplish acceptable rec709 reproduction after calibration (3D LUT via vkbasalt). But it's also said to be not very bright and contrast probably will be even worse with proper 6500k white point (when it's not close to it by default)...

Does GameScope's 30fps limit take vblank interval into consideration, or is it just a synthetic timer that causes intermittent stutter with vsync (no VRR *sigh*)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X