For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I could be mistaken, but Im pretty sure the big bottleneck is gpu horse power. I remeber seeing native vs rosetta to be pretty decent. not close to native, but decent.
    From what I saw their M1 Max performed like a 3080 (mobile) on compute workloads, but only a 3060 in games. That's a pretty massive difference, which I attribute at least part to CPU emulation.

However, it's also possible their drivers just aren't very good for gaming workloads. Or a combination of both. I didn't look into it that closely.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

From what I saw their M1 Max performed like a 3080 (mobile) on compute workloads, but only a 3060 in games. That's a pretty massive difference, which I attribute at least part to CPU emulation.

However, it's also possible their drivers just aren't very good for gaming workloads. Or a combination of both. I didn't look into it that closely.
      Yeah, my impression was that its a GPU-side driver issue. Thats not such an issue on a Nvidia GPU, even on linux.

On the other hand, your point is still valid, as the Nvidia cores are much weaker. In many cases, they can't just power through the overhead like a M1, much less do it without the Apple-specific ARM extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

it would be better to attribute that to the GPU. Apple has already shown that they have dedicated silicon for accelerating tasks. I would find it no surprise if they were optimizing for computer, if not have dedicated hardware for it.

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Yeah, my impression was that its a GPU-side driver issue. Thats not such an issue on a Nvidia GPU, even on linux.

On the other hand, your point is still valid, as the Nvidia cores are much weaker. In many cases, they can't just power through the overhead like a M1, much less do it without the Apple-specific ARM extensions.
        this is only half true, we are already seeing fex and box86 showing quite a lot of preformance in some games the video linked is a good example, although portal 2 is a fairly easy game to run, the pinephone pro is a very anemic phone where gpu and cpu are concerned.

To recreate this use my guide here: https://github.com/Raezroth/Linux-ARM-Gaming-ChrootBe sure to thank the real hero at https://github. com/ptitSeb/box86

Comment

I wonder if the display is really that bad or if it would accomplish acceptable rec709 reproduction after calibration (3D LUT via vkbasalt). But it's also said to be not very bright and contrast probably will be even worse with proper 6500k white point (when it's not close to it by default)...

Does GameScope's 30fps limit take vblank interval into consideration, or is it just a synthetic timer that causes intermittent stutter with vsync (no VRR *sigh*)?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            I wonder if the display is really that bad or if it would accomplish acceptable rec709 reproduction after calibration (3D LUT via vkbasalt). But it's also said to be not very bright and contrast probably will be even worse with proper 6500k white point (when it's not close to it by default)...

Does GameScope's 30fps limit take vblank interval into consideration, or is it just a synthetic timer that causes intermittent stutter with vsync (no VRR *sigh*)?
            63% sRGB can't just be poor calibration. Also, the viewing angles are reportedly very narrow... the screen sucks, plain and simple. It was a compromise to get down to $400.

Lack of VRR is a huge loss too.

As for gamescope... I read this from a presentation?

> "Aligns the game to output vblank and presents newest content available at
            the tightest possible deadline before vblank, no getting ahead"

And testing from YouTubers (like The Phawx) suggest that input latency is very good with gamescope's 30 fps lock, so maybe it is more than a dumb timer? Perhaps its like mpv's display-resample feature, where it very gently aligns itself to the VSync interval?

Comment

63% sRGB can't just be poor calibration. Also, the viewing angles are reportedly very narrow... the screen sucks, plain and simple. It was a compromise to get down to $400.

Lack of VRR is a huge loss too.

As for gamescope... I read this from a presentation?

> "Aligns the game to output vblank and presents newest content available at
              the tightest possible deadline before vblank, no getting ahead"

And testing from YouTubers (like The Phawx) suggest that input latency is very good with gamescope's 30 fps lock, so maybe it is more than a dumb timer? Perhaps its like mpv's display-resample feature, where it very gently aligns itself to the VSync interval?
              gamescope framerate control are being re-worked right now I believe

Comment

ps3 emulation working on steam deck.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxVO_eUgEY

Comment

Originally posted by neoe View Post
                  Yes, smart phone are ruined by Google's Android. This device is absolutely on right direction.
                  And Linux is already ready for gaming. I only switch to Windows when some VR device not ye supported by Linux.
                  Buy Google Pixel 6 and run GrapheneOS on it. Fully open source (you can compile it yourself). Runs android apps and zero bloatware, google or not, by default. Fully locked bootloader so you won't lose any security. It's great. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                    ps3 emulation working on steam deck.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxVO_eUgEY
                    And that's just flatpak. Given the results of this post (assuming it was compiled/tested with Clear's default flags):

You can probably squeeze even more RPSC3 out of the deck with a native/optimized AUR build and system libs from ALHP or Cachy.
                    Last edited by brucethemoose; 27 February 2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Ok, rockpapershotgun confirmed LTT values. Wow, that's just garbage. My 200€ notebook scores 97%...

Comment

Working...
                      X