No announcement yet.

For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Phoronix: For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Over the past nearly 18 years of running Phoronix, I have come across many interesting Linux-based products from Linux embedded in motherboards for instant-on use to the BlackDog USB port pen drive Linux servers to solar-powered super-computers in trash cans. The most fun and promising Linux-powered gaming device for the masses though is launching today: Valve's Steam Deck. I've been fortunate to be testing out this Arch Linux derived handheld game console the past month and it has been working out very well -- both as a portable Steam gaming device but making it even more compelling from the Linux enthusiast angle is its "developer mode" that effectively turns it into a general Linux handheld and also being free to load your own Linux distribution of choice.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been waiting for this review. I am waiting for it as I am supposed to get it in Q2.

Comment

Waiting for this until i have heard of it. I'm curious of the follow up articles. And the tinkering. Have you tried to install Clear Linux? I would not expect it to run out of the box. And is Steam OS 3 already open to the public?

Great that you got one

Comment

I can't wait for SteamOS 3.0 to be released for general use and have gained some maturity over time. I'm looking forward to installing it on a machine I have specifically just for games.

I love that there are an abundance of distros out there but I also realize that we really need to have one single flagship. I would hope that due to its gaming closeness that SteamOS could become that very thing.

Comment

I have a mild birth defect in my left wrist which prevents me from using a device in this form factor (or a Nintendo Switch or similar). Otherwise, this review would have pushed me into ordering.

I know I could just plug in an external keyboard and mouse, but I already have an adequate desktop computer for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I know I could just plug in an external keyboard and mouse, but I already have an adequate desktop computer for that.
            I wish they make PS5/xbox like device in the future. While I don't care about consoles at all it could bring more people to Linux/Steam.

Comment

Can't wait for the OS to release. Every time I look at pictures I worry that I'd fat-thumb the d-pad and buttons due to how my thumbs sit off-center on sticks.

That's my current controller and I fat-thumb the turbo and home buttons constantly...the star and checkerboard buttons...so if I'm fat-thumbing those buttons that are almost flush I can see me having problems with buttons that stick up. I ended up setting it up so my default profile has those buttons disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I wish they make PS5/xbox like device in the future. While I don't care about consoles at all it could bring more people to Linux/Steam.
                The Steam Deck is basically a Linux powered Xbox 1.5 or PlayStation 4.5.

Comment

I own Aya Neo and I confirm all that is said in the article. These handheld devices are awesome machines. My Aya Neo was installed with Fedora from day 1, I had some issues but overall it works nicely.

Comment

Some OS vendor has started to shit in its pant...

Comment

Working...
                    X