No announcement yet.

For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Phoronix: For Linux Enthusiasts Especially, The Steam Deck Is An Incredible & Fun Device

Over the past nearly 18 years of running Phoronix, I have come across many interesting Linux-based products from Linux embedded in motherboards for instant-on use to the BlackDog USB port pen drive Linux servers to solar-powered super-computers in trash cans. The most fun and promising Linux-powered gaming device for the masses though is launching today: Valve's Steam Deck. I've been fortunate to be testing out this Arch Linux derived handheld game console the past month and it has been working out very well -- both as a portable Steam gaming device but making it even more compelling from the Linux enthusiast angle is its "developer mode" that effectively turns it into a general Linux handheld and also being free to load your own Linux distribution of choice.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30937

Been waiting for this review. I am waiting for it as I am supposed to get it in Q2.

Comment

Waiting for this until i have heard of it. I'm curious of the follow up articles. And the tinkering. Have you tried to install Clear Linux? I would not expect it to run out of the box. And is Steam OS 3 already open to the public?

Great that you got one

Comment

I can't wait for SteamOS 3.0 to be released for general use and have gained some maturity over time. I'm looking forward to installing it on a machine I have specifically just for games.

I love that there are an abundance of distros out there but I also realize that we really need to have one single flagship. I would hope that due to its gaming closeness that SteamOS could become that very thing.

Comment

I have a mild birth defect in my left wrist which prevents me from using a device in this form factor (or a Nintendo Switch or similar). Otherwise, this review would have pushed me into ordering.

I know I could just plug in an external keyboard and mouse, but I already have an adequate desktop computer for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I know I could just plug in an external keyboard and mouse, but I already have an adequate desktop computer for that.
            I wish they make PS5/xbox like device in the future. While I don't care about consoles at all it could bring more people to Linux/Steam.

Comment

Can't wait for the OS to release. Every time I look at pictures I worry that I'd fat-thumb the d-pad and buttons due to how my thumbs sit off-center on sticks.

That's my current controller and I fat-thumb the turbo and home buttons constantly...the star and checkerboard buttons...so if I'm fat-thumbing those buttons that are almost flush I can see me having problems with buttons that stick up. I ended up setting it up so my default profile has those buttons disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I wish they make PS5/xbox like device in the future. While I don't care about consoles at all it could bring more people to Linux/Steam.
                The Steam Deck is basically a Linux powered Xbox 1.5 or PlayStation 4.5.

Comment

I own Aya Neo and I confirm all that is said in the article. These handheld devices are awesome machines. My Aya Neo was installed with Fedora from day 1, I had some issues but overall it works nicely.

Comment

Some OS vendor has started to shit in its pant...

Comment

Working...
                    X