Steam Deck CAD Files Published Under Creative Commons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post

Yeah, I was wrong about STL, but please introduce me to a mum who can read DWG...
    LibreDWG includes a tool to convert DWG to DXF, which can be read by FreeCAD and Inkscape among others.

Comment

Ugh I hate people sometimes.
      Valve is doing something really cool here that nobody asked or expected them to do, and yet, people are still griping.

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
        Yeah, I was wrong about STL, but please introduce me to a mum who can read DWG...
        Most mums should be capable of reading it, since in this context it is just an abbreviation for a "2D Drawing", which is provided as a PDF file.

Did you even care to look at the released files before jumping the gun??

This repository contains CAD files for the external shell (surface topology) of Steam Deck, under a Creative Commons license. This includes an STP model, STL model, and drawings (DWG) for reference.
        Last edited by Veto; 12 February 2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

TBH I was not expecting this. Very nice

Comment

What me wonder is, that in the license file stands "Copyright 2019 Valve Corporation".
            So in 2019 the design was already finished?
            And the license exists also already on that time?
            Quite possibly, or at least substantially compete. With a handheld you'd want to have the case designed early so you can tweak the hardware to fit, physically and thermally. Valve appears to be taking this product very seriously. It doesn't surprise me it's been years in the making.

Comment

I am not a gamer but this is a real stand up move by Steam. I hope it grows the ecosystem and works out well for them.

Comment

Wow, this is really quite a welcome surprise. Valve is doing so many things right with the Steam Deck hardware, I'm really quite impressed.

I still have my worries about Proton, but Valve seems to be putting their all into it, so we'll just have to wait for the feedback of average, non-Linux, gamers once Steam Deck is released.

But I have my fingers crossed on both hands that it all works seamlessly! If it does, Valve could have an incredibly successful product on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                  What me wonder is, that in the license file stands "Copyright 2019 Valve Corporation".
                  So in 2019 the design was already finished?
                  And the license exists also already on that time?

I have also searched, which projects beside the SteamDeck are also on the gitlab.steamos.cloud.
                  The only one I have found is

Don't know, where there is the difference to
                  https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-runtime
                  nah, they just copied it from CAD files form Valve Index HW :-)
                  Contribute to ValveSoftware/IndexHardware development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                  X